05

"I-I.....c-can't b-breath....."

Standing outside of Lockwood's mansion, Everly anxiously fidgeting on the bracelet Katherine had given her earlier that night

Standing outside of Lockwood's mansion, Everly anxiously fidgeting on the bracelet Katherine had given her earlier that night. Although she's too late to join the Masquerade, she thought she could surprise Katherine by offering her a drive home.

Her near-sighted eyes caught a glimpse of a familiar brunette, thinking it was her friend, she called out, "Katherine?"

The brunette turned around and Everly could finally see clearly without blurs around the face, her eyes widened when she realized she had mistaken the person, "Elena?"

Her eyes traveled down the suspicious red spots on the girl's long-sleeve shirt, "Oh god, are you okay?"

"Everly? What are you doing here?" Elena frowned at her sudden appearance and urged, "It's dangerous here, you should go home."

"Dangerous? What do you mean?" Everly titled her head to the side in confusion.

Elena opened her mouth to press her classmate to go home but was knocked out before she could say anything, and Everly quickly followed the same fate. The latter felt her heart jumped, making her heart clenched in pain before losing her consciousness, and her phone dropped oon the ground. 

· ──── ·☼· ──── · 

Elena stirred awake and winced quietly when she pulled the wounds on her arm, looking around, her knocked out classmates came into her view. She rushed forward, "Everly? Everly, wake up. Everly!"

The blue-eye girl slowly opened her eyes, vision blurry from the sudden brightness in the room, and narrowed her eyes trying to identify the brown figure before her, "Elena?" She asked, disoriented.

"Are you okay?"

"Yea, just–" Everly stopped abruptly and gasped when a stabbing pain shot through her heart, she felt it beating faster than normal as her pacemaker struggled to slow it down.

"Everly?"

She pressed hardly on her chest, trying to sooth the anxious heart, but it wasn't doing much as she began to pant heavily.

"Everly?! What's wrong?" Elena frowned, panic filling her voice.

"I-I.....c-can't b-breath....." She managed to say, squinting her eyes shot as a few tears escaped from the throbbing pain in her heart, "It h-hurts."

"What hurts? What can I do?"

"M-my heart............." Everly whimpered, pressing her head against the dusty couch she was lying on before she fallen off, her mouths wide open, trying to inhale as much oxygen as she could. Her chest rapidly heaved up and down.

She didn't know why this was happening, her pacemaker was working fine. Everything felt normal. Although she had been feeling more fatigue lately, it's due to her lack of sleep after her constant nightmare occurrences.