23

"She was willing to do the same."

Everly groggily opened her eyes, wincing as her neck cracked

Everly groggily opened her eyes, wincing as her neck cracked. Disoriented, her eyes looked around the car. The gears in her mind slowly turning to process her surroundings and eventually acknowledged the familiar man beside her, "Stefan?"

"Finally. Took you long enough," Klaus said from the driver's seat.

She looked into the rear-view mirror, frowning slightly, "Where are you taking me?"

"We're going to make my hybrids hybrids."

"This is kidnapping. I want to go home. My mom is going to freak when she returns from her trip," Everly said, panic seeping into her, and began to unbuckle her seatbelts. Just like herself, her mother cared deeply for her and there's nothing she would stress more than her safety and her broken heart. She couldn't put her mom through the fright again when the current situation seemed eerily similar to what happened in the past, especially the end where she would meet her demise. Her mom would fall apart and.............Elijah.  

Everly reached to her chest before she could stop herself, surprised at the simple ornament dangling from her neck. She didn't think Klaus would return this to her, but she wondered where Elijah was. She wanted to know why Klaus would let her live after seeing the necklace, and why would he give her something so precious to him. But where was he?

"Everly, calm down. Klaus won't be able to hurt you," Stefan said, squeezing reassuringly on her hand, "You are wearing Elijah's necklace. It will protect you."

"Stefan, what are you doing here with Klaus? And where is Elijah?"

"I made a deal with him. A cure for Damon's werewolf bite in exchange of my freedom. As for Elijah, he daggered him."

Her face visibly paled, which Stefan didn't think was possible. Her wan petite figure, dark circles under her eyes and deepened eye sockets. She looked ill and obviously didn't know the suited original betrayed them, but she would never know. After all, she was the most innocent of them all. It was already their faults that they didn't know the extend of her heart condition until it was aggravated to the point she nearly died. But it won't happen again, he promised.

Everly pulled her legs to her chest as she watched the scenery changed outside of the window. For every road they passed, Everly knew she was getting further away from her old life and she was absolutely terrified of it. She feared that she might not live to see her mom again or to attend Jenna's and possibly Elena's funeral, or to have another peaceful conversation with Elijah.

Her eyes began to drop, and the last thing she remembered was Stefan placing his jacket onto her shoulders. 

...

"Everly, Everly. Wake up," Stefan gently shook the girl beside her who had fallen asleep again during the trip, "Everly."

She slowly stirred awake, sending the Salvatore a questioning gaze.