Chapter Nine - I'll Protect You

Elias's pov

Elias's pov

I was sitting on the hospital bed as Joey was talking to the doctors. I was being released from the hospital today which I didn't know how to feel about. I want to get out of here but the problem is I know Joey and Gavin aren't just gonna let me roam around in the streets.

I sat on the hospital bed playing with the drawstring on Joey's black and white hoodie he brought for me to wear. Gavin came over and sat beside me with a gleeful smile plastered across his face. "So you ready to leave, Eli?" "And stay in Stephen's home with him? Not really." Gavin's smile faded a bit after that but he tried to make me feel more comfortable with the idea. "Well at least you'll have somewhere to stay and keep out of the rain and snow and stuff and you'll have fresh food whenever you get hungry and a warm bed-"

"He is not staying in your room, Gavin!" "I won't even be in there! I'll be sleeping with Joey!" "I said no! He can sleep on the couch where I can keep an eye on him." 'Oh great' I thought. "Stephen, leave him alone. I thought we had an agreement" Joey said walking over towards us. "That doesn't mean I trust him." "Just back off! He hasn't done anything wrong since we found him."

Stephen rolled his eyes and asked if we were ready to leave. Gavin nodded and grabbed my hand. I freaked out still coping with what I'd done to Jay and Joe and pulled away immediately. He looked at me but I quickly got up and walked away before he could say anything. I walked right beside Stephen keeping my head down the whole time. He was allowing me to stay in his home even after the bat incident. I wasn't about to do anything that might make him change his mind. Joey and Gavin followed behind us whispering amongst themselves.

Three hours later

Joey's pov

I sat in the kitchen watching Elias. "Is he still sitting there?" Gavin asked walking over. "Yeah, he is." Elias has been sitting in the corner of the living room practically since we got home and he hasn't dared move. You could tell he was scared just being here and it broke our hearts. We really wanted to help him but with Stephen around and his outburst with Jay and Joe, he was too scared to let us.

It was weird to me honestly. Seeing him cowering in the corner, freaking out when we grabbed his hand, being too scared to even come over and say hi. That wasn't our Elias. That wasn't my Elias. Four years ago, the first thing he did when we came over was tackle us to the ground in a giant bear hug. He was still shy but very confident in himself and his abilities. He was kind of rebellious, though not as much as me. He could be very sassy when he wanted to be and he had this spunkyness to him that I fell in love with.

I finally got tired of watching him sit there by himself and walked over to him. I sat down beside him catching his attention. "Hey Eli. How are you?" "W-what are you doing?" he asked confused. "Nothing. Just figured I'd come over so you aren't alone." "I'd actually prefer to be alone." "Elias, you don't have to hide over here the whole time. Stephen's not gonna hurt you again, I promise. Besides, he's not even home right now" I said hoping he might open up a bit more.