War Council

After nearly a month of convalescing Ichigo still couldn't walk right. He wore a knee brace every day and did his best but he was limping just a bit to take some of the pressure off the last of each step he made with his left foot. Captain General Yamamoto had called a meeting of the captains and lieutenants and Ichigo was determined to be able to stand through the whole meeting. He arrived with his captain and was glad to see his father there with Lieutenant Matsumoto as well. What surprised him was when he noted Toshiro standing there also. Ichigo was puzzled by his presence since as a Third Seat he wouldn't have been called to the meeting. Perhaps he was there to assist Isshin with something.

Ichigo followed Captain Ukitake into the room. Many of the other captains were already present; Captain Soi Fon, Captain Unohana, Captain Kuchiki, and Captain Komamura all stood at attention. They had left holes in their ranks where the former captains of squads three, five, and nine would have stood. Ichigo noted that even the lieutenant's of those squads were missing. As he understood it Lieutenant Hinamori was still in the hospital. She wouldn't be attending the meeting at all. Ichigo hadn't seen lieutenant Hisagi or Kira since before the incident on Sokyoku Hill. He wondered what had become of them.

Ichigo watched as the rest of the captains and lieutenants arrived, noting that those still hadn't arrived. Captain Zaraki was the last of the captains to make an appearance with Lieutenant Kusajishi hanging onto his right shoulder. He took his place at the end of the line and Ichigo scanned the room once more. Lieutenant Abarai still wore bandages from the wounds Aizen had inflicted on him. Captain Komamura and his father had both completely healed as far as he knew. Then he noticed that Lieutenant Sasakibe was missing. It was strange to not see him behind Captain General Yamamoto. Ichigo knew that the lieutenant hadn't been injured badly enough to excuse himself. Where was he?

Captain General Yamamoto struck his cane against the wooden floor calling everyone to attention. Ichigo returned his gaze to the wall behind Captain and Lieutenant Kurotsuchi.

"We will now begin this war meeting of the captains and assistants to determine our plan of attack against the traitor Aizen." Tension rose in the room and Ichigo struggled not to clench his fists. "Bring them in!" Captain Yamamoto commanded. The doors to the council chamber opened and lieutenants Hisagi and Kira stepped in dropping quickly to their knees. Lieutenant Sasakibe stood calmly behind them, but Ichigo knew that this scene was anything but. Were they on trial here? Would they be executed for their captain's actions? Ichigo could feel his shoulders tensing as he tried to sort through his thoughts. This felt wrong to him and he didn't like it. What should he do? Was he permitted to speak?

"You are both pardoned for any blame that may have been placed on you for your captain's actions. We have determined that neither of you knew anything of this treachery against the Seireitei. Lieutenant Hinamori is likewise pardoned and will be held guiltless for the actions of Sosuke Aizen. Lieutenant Hisagi, Lieutenant Kira, you will both fulfill the duties of a captain for your squads until such time as a replacement can be appointed. I name you both acting captains of squads three and nine respectively." Both of the lieutenants bowed their foreheads to the floor as a sign of respect and acknowledgment of the words spoken.

"You may now take your places." They both stood and moved to their typical positions. There were no captains for them to stand behind so they looked exposed as they stood in the places they normally held. Ichigo was glad that they wouldn't be executed for their captain's actions. He didn't know much about either of them, but neither struck him as a traitor. Both stared at the floor in front of them instead of the opposite wall. Lieutenant Kira looked especially exposed as Captain Soi Fon stared daggers at him.

"Let in the others," Captain Yamamoto commanded. Lieutenant Sasakibe opened one of the doors and two more people filed in. The woman Ichigo recognized from Sokyoku hill. She had tried to take Aizen captive with Captain Soi Fon. The other was Third Seat Hitsugaya. Once he was inside he lowered himself to the floor pressing his left fist against it. His right hovered just above the floor. Ichigo figured Toshiro's shoulder must still be bothering him. The woman stood close to the back wall, which meant she felt she was at least the equal of a lieutenant. Ichigo wondered again who she was.