Chapter 35

While they were focused on their one task of getting Newt the serum, they were unaware of so many things. First, being that Teresa had run numerous tests on Tanya and Thomas' blood before discovering two things - one that brought her a renewed sense of hope and another that brought her an insane amount of shock.

The second was that Lawrence had completely abandoned his compound as he led the Cranks and the rest of the people who were denied entry to the city to war, sacrificing his life as he blew up the front door.

And the entire city shook and flickered as everyone's attention was brought to the massive ball of orange flames in the sky that looked eerily like the sun and a stark contrast to the pale blue light that bathed the city.

Minho had taken over helping Newt seeing as Tanya was the one that was armed and probably one hell of a better shot than he was.

Tanya was more concerned about Gally though when she saw the look of betrayal on his face - an expression she'd only seen once before on the day she held a knife at him as she chose to go into the Maze and take a shot at her freedom.

"We're supposed to take down WICKED, not the whole fucking city," he said dejectedly, hurt that the people who gave him a place and let him trust them for over a year didn't trust him as they lied to him.

"Gally, come on. We've got to go," Thomas, his voice bearing sympathy before he and Minho started moving with Newt and Tanya took Gally's hand.

"Hey," she said softly as she called his attention to her. "I've always been honest with you."

He gave her a weak smile as he squeezed her hand, her words a promise and a reminder that no lies have ever and would ever leave her mouth when she spoke to him.

"I love you."

"I love you too, but we gotta go."

And their hands remained linked as they jogged after Newt, Thomas and Minho before they took the lead.

"The tunnels are right up ahead," Gally revealed.

"Get down! Get down!" Tanya said in a loud whisper as they crouched behind the concrete stand that housed some grass and a few trees as sirens wailed.

"Fuck," Thomas swore.

"Damn it," Gally agreed.

"What are they waiting for?" Minho asked before Thomas and Tanya flinched at the sound of an explosion behind them.

"Get down! Get down!" Gally exclaimed as Thomas pushed Tanya's head down and moved them both against the concrete wall as they watched Lawrence's army charge, a lot of them being shot down but a lot of them returning fire.

"Stay down! Stay down!" Thomas urged as he pushed Tanya to the floor and covered her body with his, everyone else in a similar position.

"We gotta go. We gotta go!" Gally pointed out as rubble landed next to them from whatever a rocket launcher had just blown up.

"Come on! Let's move!" Thomas said as he and Minho helped Newt up while Gally and Tanya prepared to cover them as they took shelter in a nearby building.

Thomas was on the walkie to Brenda as Gally's eyes widened and he tackled Tanya to the ground.

"WATCH OUT!" he yelled as the concrete structure they were just hiding behind was blown up, pieces of it flying through the broken window of the store they were hiding in.

"Gally? Hey! Gals?! Wake up!" she shouted as the lump of muscle on top of her seemed to be knocked unconscious with the wound now on his brow from where something hit him. "Gally!"