I'm A Freak!

~ALLIE POV~

A few months later, I woke up and shoved myself out of bed. Charlie had been causing problems, because he kept claiming dad was Santa and I was an elf, which made Mom and Neil mad. I tried to stay out of it as much as I could. Standing up, and looking in the mirror, I screamed when I saw my ears. I heard pounding footsteps and dad came running in.

"What? What's wrong?"

I turned to look at him, my hands softly touching my ears. "Look at my ears!"

Dad's mouth dropped open as he looked at my ears. My eyes widened as I scanned dad. He had a gut belly, a thick beard. I turned back to the mirror, looking at my pointy ears. "Dad, I'm a freak!"

"No, you're not a freak," Dad said. "It's okay, look, at least it's just your ears. You could have grown a gut."

I shook my head, covering my mouth as I shoved my way to my room.

I made my way to school, having to have my hair down, a twist in the back, covering the tops of my ears. I kept my head down, careful not to mess up my hair.

"Hey, Allie!" My friend, Sara, said.

"Hey." I mumbled.

"You haven't called me like you said you would." She pouted.

I didn't say anything, and she took one of her pale hands and raked it through my hair. "I love your hair like this."

I mumbled thanks, trying to focus. 

"Can I redo it?"

She reached to take my hair out, but I quickly stopped her. "No. I don't want to get in trouble for getting my hair done. You know how the teacher is."

Sara seemed taken back by that and went to say something more but the teacher interrupted her. "Ms Jacobs, no talking."

She huffed, glaring at me and the teacher, before she sat back in her chair.