chapter four // overthinking

After going through the things that happened, my thoughts always wandered back and forth. I could never think straight.

For a few hours stirred in the living room, I paced around restlessly, a bit traumatized from the experience from the past week, and also with boredom. I decided to head to my bedroom.

As I went to my room, with a sigh, Courtney came in.

"Hey, do you mind if you don't get out of the room? We're going to have a party with all our friends." Courtney replied with a bit of a sassy tone, which I find particularly annoying at times.

"Didn't you just have a party last Saturday?" I asked her quietly.

"Well, Alyra, what's life if you're not going to live it at the fullest?" She replied.

"Alright, I'll stay here." I answered. "I don't want to argue with everyone, too much has been going on.." I said in my mind.

Courtney walked out of the room and slammed the door. I got up, then locked the door. "I don't want anyone coming in, I prefer just to stay alone." I frequently reminded myself in my thoughts.

Every few minutes I heard a doorbell, then a loud commotion, and afterwards a door slam. The process repeated until the whole house was filled with chattering, clamor, and more.

It was six P.M., And it was already ear-splitting and chaotic from the party. I could tell from their laughter and sudden shrieks they were probably playing a game.

I silently stride to my bed, laying down. I blinked a few times, wondering what to do.

A rambunctious shatter came from the living room, It sounded like a stack of glass broke. Yikes.

Frightened gasps and noises could be heard after that noise, Later on some sounds of a vacuum.

Then once again, The party noises started all over again, More laughter, and yelling, all the sounds that slowly drove me way out of my comfort zone.

I yanked my blanket on top of me, then tried going to sleep.

Eventually, I did fall into a deep sleep, since in the blink of an eye the clock turned 2 A.M.

I could hear people snoring in the living room. I bet they all partied till they dropped.

"Since I feel a bit thirsty, I think I should get some water.." I told myself in my brain.

I quietly tiptoed to the handle, trying my best to make no sound.

Noiselessly, I unlocked the door. I strolled out, putting my heel first then my whole foot. I repeated the pattern until I reached the cabinet.

No cups in the cabinet, probably all used up from the party. I took a quick look at the cupboard, luckily I found a cup in it. I drank water hastily until I finished the cup. Then, I heard a noise.

I looked around, all my step sister's friends were sleeping, and so were they. My step-parents had to leave after I arrived to visit my step-mom's aunt.

They said earlier in the morning that they would be back around this time.

"C'mon, go check it out. It can't be anything abnormal," I said to myself in a silent and rushed tone. I strided over the hallway, then I noticed some unfamiliar movement close to the hallway window. I glanced at it, seeing nothing.

Strange. I swore I heard something from here..

As I turned back, the same silhouette from that forest was standing in front of me, I could feel the breath next to my face. I thought.. It was long gone.