Tom nodded slowly, as the two groups stood somewhat awkwardly together.

"So you-" Tom started again. "You wanna go get a drink?"

*****

"You gonna tell us what that was about?" Evan asked as he crashed down next to his baby sister on the sofa.

The four had returned to Ashton's house in the hopes of getting their reports done, and it was clear Oakley wanted to get out of there.

She sighed as she leant forward and rested her head on her hands.

"I panicked." She mumbled.

"Well that was obvious." Diego mumbled as he helped Ashton bring in a tray of drinks, while Ashton carried a tray of snacks.

"You think he noticed?" Oakley asked as she lifted her head up and looked around at the three of them.

The trio all exchanged glances. Ashton didn't want to say anything, still being new to their family circle.

"It was awkward as fuck!" Evan blurted out as Oakley turned to him shocked.

"I mean you kissed the guy after he got to you first, you had his hand in yours the whole way back, even seeing Charlie with him because you knew he'd hate it and then just up and left, without even a goodbye?!" Evan added. "It's like you fucked and chucked the guy."

"It is?" Oakley looked between them.

Ashton and Diego shook their heads while Evan nodded.

"I think you at least owe him an explanation." Her brother continued to push. "Especially as you're meant to be leaving town."

"Yeah that part I agree with." Diego piped up.

"Please do." Ashton begged her. "The last thing we need is a foul tempered Merrill because he didn't get let down gently."

Oakley looked between them all as she sighed and reached out for her coffee.

"Let's just get these reports done." She grumbled.

The others nodded as Ashton handed out the papers and pens.

The trio worked in silence while Evan wandered, looking out the window as not to distract them.

Having two brothers who were police Captains, a baby sister that was a detective and a boyfriend that was a detective, he knew when something wasn't right.

His eyes focused on the house diagonally across Ashton's as he saw a man clearly struggling to get inside, constantly looking around.

Looking back at the others, who were clearly focused, he turned back to look outside the window.

Watching as the man finally got inside, he felt his curiosity growing.

"I'm just gonna go outside for a wander." He mumbled at the others.

They all nodded and waved him off as he quietly slipped out the house.

Slowly edging towards the house he saw a woman across the street and instantly went for her.

"Excuse me miss, but um-" he pointed towards the house. "Who lives there?"

"New in town huh?" She asked with a laugh. "That's Ace Merrill's."

Evan watched in slight shock as she continued walking past. His eyes glued to Ace's house as he knew that man definitely wasn't Ace.

His mind went through each of Ace's friends, snakes? Cobras? Ashton had called them something like that.

Yet who he had seen wasn't one of them.

His mind went through everyone he'd seen earlier that day, Tom? It wasn't any of his friends either.

Making his way back inside Ashton's, he saw the trio still writing everything out.

"Does Ace live alone?" He directed his question at his sister.

She looked up and nodded. "Yeah, just across the street, why?"

Evan looked between the three. "Don't wanna alarm you, but someone's just forced their way inside his and it weren't one of those snake guys or the poshos."

Instantly Oakley leapt off the sofa, followed by Diego and Ashton as the four ran outside and went straight towards Ace's.

Oakley's gun was already out.

"Ley, just calm down, I'm sure he's fine." Diego tried to explain.

But it was pointless. Oakley was already at his slightly open front door and ready to shoot anyone trespassing on his property.

The four instantly flooded in, though Evan being unarmed chose to stick with Diego.

"Upstairs is clear!" Ashton shouted down.

"Living room is too!" Diego shouted as he still held his gun, his own protective instinct had kicked in, not just for Evan but for Oakley and Ace.

"Guys!"

The trio transcended on the kitchen, where Oakley was staring at the back door, also open.

"He must have gone out the back." Ashton mumbled.

"But why break into Ace's?" Oakley asked, facing the rest.

"Um-"

They all turned as they saw Ace stood with Eyeball and Tom either side of him.

"Wanna tell me why you're in my house?" Ace asked blankly as he looked between them.

Diego nudged Oakley forward as she grumbled slightly.

"Where have you been?"

"We went for a few drinks, why?" Ace replied with a small shrug as he gestured to Eyeball and Tom.

"All of you?" She pressed.

Ace nodded slowly. "What's going on?"

Oakley hesitated. How did she tell him that someone had broke in?

 How did she tell him that someone had broke in?