Chapter Four

"Today, you're going to have your breakfast in our new enclosure," Beatrice says as she leads us down numerous staircases to what must be the ground level.

"What are we, animals in a zoo?" Lonan says.

"Quiet," she snaps. "As I was saying, we received assistance from mages specializing in architecture in creating a space that simulates springtime."

I hear Lonan take a breath, about to retort something else, but I slap him in the chest with the back of my hand. I shoot him an irritated glance as he stifles a laugh. How can he find this funny?

"Imagine a small jungle enclosed in a glass dome. A greenhouse of sorts. You two are the lucky first pair to spend your time here today. And while you're here, we would like you, Lonan, to exercise your wings."

We've reached the bottom floor, and Lonan stops in his tracks. "Wait, you're serious?"

"I'm serious," Beatrice says, turning to face us. "That's why we haven't clipped your wings in a while. The physicians will be by every few hours to take measurements of your wings and to observe."

"Wait, would it be okay for me to teach Daya to fly?"

My heart sinks. I never thought we'd be in a position where Lonan would even suggest me flying. He knew back in our village that I was forbidden to fly, but he never questioned why. It was just how things were. 

"I would say yes," she says, "But it would seem that your dear mate was never intended to fly."

"Huh? What are you talking about?" he demands.

"You don't already know? I'm a bit surprised. Her left wing was broken and never healed properly. A shame really. It would have helped to gauge the flight power of your offspring. Oh well."

"You guys broke her wing?" Lonan says, his feathers threatening to unfold. 

"Wait, Lonan-" I start. 

Beatrice just stares at him, daring him to act on his rage. See what happens.

"How could you idiots be so careless with something as fragile as a wing? Aren't you supposed to be doctors or something? I don't understand how-"

"Lonan!" I say, reaching up and grabbing his face in my hands. I force him to look down at me. To stop. His anger is terrifying. My fingers tremble against his cheeks. "My wing was broken before we came here. When we arrived and I had my first examination, a physician noticed the issue and said that it must have happened when I was very young. I don't remember it, but I guess it explains why I was never allowed to fly back in the village." I fake a smile. Hopefully, it's real enough to get him to calm down before he hurts someone. 

I don't know if he's capable of it - physically harming another being - but after eight years imprisoned like this, I wouldn't be surprised.

He sees through me, but I can tell he's able to come back to his senses when he lets out a sigh.

"Are you quite finished?" Beatrice says. 

"Yes," I say, not taking my eyes off Lonan. 

Lonan takes my hand gently in his, peering down at it like it may be broken, too. 

"Moving on then."

***

"Hey, Lonan?"

"Hey, Dove."

"Do you ever try to remember what the sun felt like?"

"All the time."

***