Chapter Three

"Don't phrase it like that!" the Taigan man growls. He offers us a lopsided apologetic smile. "I'm Okaru, by the way. We know what it's like to be the new pair around here, so I'll let you know now, the others do get nicer."

"But it don't get easier," Keela grumbles.

Lonan brushes my hair back behind my shoulders. "Hey, you okay? You're shaking."

"Why wouldn't she be?" Keela says. "It's cold in here and she's nothing but skin and bones. Wait." Her eyes widen. "No wonder they're feeding you such good stuff - you can't properly carry a baby or two if you're a twig."

"Keela, that's enough!" Okaru says, suddenly raising his voice.

I flinch toward Lonan, and he wraps an arm around me, his wing completely unfurled.

The room falls silent immediately, all eyes on Lonan's brilliant feathers that shield me from behind.

"That seems a bit unnecessary," Keela says, narrowing her eyes at Lonan. He returns her glare.

"It's an automatic response. When we're scared or feel threatened, the wings come out."

"His little shout scared you?" Keela snorts.

"No, but it scared her," Lonan says. He pulls me tighter to his side, and I decide I want to die now.

Lonan has been nothing but overprotective of me since the moment we saw each other again. I don't remember him being like this before.

I'm already embarrassing myself enough. I'll admit that his protection is comforting, but it also proves just how pathetic I truly am. I want nothing more than to have Lonan's confidence and courage, but I feel like a child in a room full of adults.

"I'm sorry," Okaru says. "I guess Keela and I are both on edge. We got word we're getting sold soon. Some rich people want white Taigans as house servants to show off."

"Sorry to hear that," Lonan says. He falls silent for a moment, taking another bite of his food. Then he looks back up at them and says, "If you don't mind my asking - how long have you both been here?"

"Sixty or so years," Keela says. She plays with her fork now, twirling it in the mush on her plate. "The two of us were born in separate towns, a couple years apart. Similar situations, though. Our families were both in rough spots and needed money. Rodum would often put up advertisements in hybrid sectors of towns, saying they'd pay big money for abnormal hybrids to partake in a research opportunity. As you can see, it turned out to be a more... permanent experience."

"Did your families ever reach out to try and get you back?" Lonan says.

Keela cackles. "Who knows? Rodum probably told them we're dead."

We sit in silence for a while again.

This is more conversation than I'm used to, and while it's been eye-opening and horrible, I want to go back to our chamber. I want to get away. Disappear into Lonan's feathers like the coward I am.

"I have one more question if that's okay with you. And of course, you don't have to answer." I'm surprised by the politeness in Lonan's voice. He's been pretty brash this whole time.

"Sure," Okaru says. The man's eyes look tired. Ancient.

"How many children have you had here?"

Keela freezes.

I nudge Lonan's foot a little too hard, but he holds his ground.

"Twenty-four," Okaru says. "All still-born."

***

As the guards escort us out of the dining hall in small groups, I feel tears dripping down my cheeks. I rub them away, frustrated.