Chapter 25: Nazar

"Are you nervous? Because I am." I said as we were waiting for Ethan's friends to arrive.

"No need to be nervous. There're only three of them. And Imogen will arrive soon to help." He reassured me and I felt one of his hands squeeze my shoulder softly.

"Is everything ready? Do you need any help?"

"The decorations are set, the candies and pastries are in plates and bowls on the table in the living room and the cake is waiting in the fridge. We just have to wait."

Luckily, we didn't have to wait a long time to hear someone knock on the door. I smiled as I heard Imogen's voice and greeted her with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Where should I put my gift?" She asked and I heard Ante tell her where to put it. She greeted Ethan as she walked back toward me.

"So, how have you been? You look good." 

"I always look good, but thank you. I appreciate it." I answered, a side smile on my lips as I heard her chuckle. "But things are good so far. I can't wait for warmer days to come back so I can sit on the patio again or go on walks in the evening." 

"I feel you. But spring is almost here now." She said and someone knocked on the door before I could answer.

I heard Ante greet someone a few seconds later and heard small steps and a high pitched voice soon after. Kids were starting to arrive and it was just a matter of time before the party started.

"This is Nazar." I heard Ethan say, bringing me back in real life.

"This is the blind man?" I heard one of the kids ask in a whisper, making me smile slightly.

"Hello. Nice to meet you all. And yes, I'm blind but I'm not deaf." I replied, sending a smile in the direction of the voices.

I chuckled as I heard a small gasp followed by Ethan laughing slightly in the background.

"If anyone wants some candies or pastries, don't hesitate to take some. There's plenty on the table." Ante said before adding. "We planned some fun games through the afternoon. The first one will start in about thirty minutes so you have some time to eat and have fun."  I heard some children music start being played once he was done talking and felt one of his hands on my arm a minute later. "Things are good so far. See, no reason to be nervous. Imogen and I are handling the situation."

I smiled at his reassuring tone, knowing he was right and that, in the end, things always turned alright. I sat on the sofa and listened to Ante telling them what the first game was about. The rules seemed simple enough: they had to walk around chairs as the music played and had to sit as soon as it stopped. The last one standing was eliminated. I smiled as I learnt that Imogen and Ante would play with them so the rounds would last longer. And I would turn the music on and off. I wouldn't have been able to say how many rounds they played but it seemed like they had fun from the numerous laughters I could hear. 

"Who's up for another game before we eat the cake?" Ante asked and the kids cheered in return.

Ante then proceeded to explain the rules of the next game: he placed a large plastic mat on the ground with large colored circle on it. A spinner would say where they had to put their hands and feet. Only the kids would play this game and I listened to Ante telling them on which color they had to put their members.

"Oh, Mia just lost!" Imogen exclaimed before adding." Do you want something to drink while we watch who will win? Come, I will give you something."

"Noah, your elbow touched the ground, you lost!" Ante said a few minutes later.