Chapter 58: Morning

For the first time in his life, Dan was the first person to arrive. He looked around, hiding his cold fingers in his pockets. The icy wind blew dry leaves and newspaper in front of Aurora Bar, indicating the arrival of winter in the next months. Dan leaned against the door of the bar when he heard footsteps approaching. He looked to his left and saw Phil and Jessy walking toward him. Phil carried a duffle bag, and Jessy carried a backpack and Phil's bat.

"Yo," Dan said as a greeting.

"Hi Dan," Jessy stopped and leaned against the door just like him. Phil nodded then lit up a cigarette.

"You're not in a wheelchair," Jessy said, looking genuinely happy.

"Yeah, thought about letting that abomination rust at home."

"But you still need to use crutches," Phil commented after flicking his cigarette.

"You will see me dancing ballet without them in no time," Dan countered.

"Is that so?" Phil exhaled the smoke of his cigarette and mustered Dan.

Silence filled the air. The three avoided their gaze.

"Look Phil, I have to apologize for what happened," Dan cleared his throat before remarking, as he stood up straight, looking at Phil who was now watching the faint light in the sky, coming from the early sunset.

"Wow Dan, there are so many things you need to apologize to me, I have no idea what you're talking about," Phil kept looking at the sky.

"Me framing you to the police for the accident that was entirely my fault."

"Yeah that was shitty of you," Phil flicked his cigarette again. Jessy's gaze exchanged between Dan and Phil.

"Me not coming to work, even though you begrudgingly offered me a job."

"Ungrateful of you, if I must say," Phil continued.

"And for asking out your sister."

"What's between you and Jessy is none of my business..." Phil continued his smoking nonchalantly, even though his voice turned a bit icy cold.

"I know you think I'm not good enough for Jessy," Dan sighed. "Just admit it."

"I have to admit nothing neither to you nor Jessy," now Phil was stomping on the cigarette even though it was not fully smoked yet. "I think, my sister is old and smart enough to know which kind of guys she let herself get associated with. I for myself, can't phantom, why anyone would want to go out with you though? I mean you're so full of yourself, you have no sense of manners, you always think you are so much better than anyone else-"

"Talk about the kettle calling the pot black..." Dan muttered under his breath.

"Dan..." Jessy shot Dan a warning look.

"Oh, I heard that alright," Phil laughed mockingly.

Before Dan could say a reply, Cleo and Thomas arrived at the Aurora. Aside from their own backpacks, Thomas was carrying a huge bag with groceries, and Cleo a bag with three full containers.

"Oh food, you are a lifesaver Thomas," Dan grinned and peeked inside Cleo's bag. "Lemon cake, sweet!"

"Hands off Dan, these are our rations. I mentioned to Thomas that we need sweets as it helps ease anxiety. I plundered my entire storage today."

"Awesome, I just brought popcorn and some beef jerky," Dan took a step back since Cleo was not letting him near her stash of cakes.

"It's getting really colder nowadays," Jessy tightens her jacket and scarf.