Chapter 22: Jake Part 2

"How about a kiss as a thank you?" Phil asked as he leaned closer to Lia while still sitting in his car.

He is a dead man!

Lia scoffed and left Phil in the car, my anger immediately dampened by her reaction.

That's my girl... go away from that filthy, slimy, good-for-nothing bartender.

I waited, still hidden away, with my hands in my pockets, hood up when I saw Lia leaving the police station, heading towards Phil who was leaning against his car.

Look at him, trying to act all high and mighty just because he has an Audi, does he seriously think he can impress Lia with that?

They both chatted for a while and then started walking toward the marketplace. I followed behind, trying not to be too close even though I want to eavesdrop on what they are saying. Then I got an idea, and I quickly turned on a program on my phone, turning on the mic of Lia's phone just as how I did a couple of times before.

"You look so much better when you are smiling," I heard Phil saying.

You're walking on thin ice here Phillip...

I saw Lia starting to walk away. "Let's find something to eat!"

Good girl.

Phil walked beside her, whistling. He just doesn't want to give up apparently.

They entered the marketplace, and I was hiding close by, shooting daggers at Phil's back.

"We have all kinds of restaurants and eating places. Café Rainbow, there is an Italian restaurant, there is a burger place, a bit further there is Aurora," Phil was pointing to a street, showing Lia all the places where they can eat.

"Looks nice here," I heard her saying.

"Yeah, we also have a Chinese restaurant," Phil turned Lia around her smile immediately disappeared. I knew why, and I felt a stab through my heart. I looked away for a second. She was probably reminded of what I once told her.

"Are you okay?" Phil asked Lia. "You're pale, should we sit down for a while?" She nodded as Phil gestured to a bench. Lia was now covering her face.

"You're hyperventilating, try to calm your breathing," Phil suggested as he stroked her back.

I was this close to losing my shit. I should just go there and pull her into my arms.

"Lia," I heard Phil saying firmly.

He said something to Lia then he opened both his arms. I then saw Lia crashing her face on his chest, crying loudly.

I felt guilty, I knew it was because of me. She was suffering, and I am the cause of it. I wanted to go to her so badly, I wanted to pull her close and wipe her tears after throwing Phil into the stream, reassuring her that I won't ever leave her and doesn't have to worry about me. I want that so badly, yet I stood still, letting her vent out her emotions. It really looked like she needed some comfort and as much as I hate Phil, he had to give her some reassurance.

For now. In a couple of hours, I will make sure he will be out of the picture.

After Lia seemed to feel better, they entered a burger place. Thank God it wasn't Chinese. I would have kicked Phil out of there.

I'm the one who eats Chinese food with Lia, not you!

I didn't follow them inside, but through the mic from Lia's phone, I was able to listen to their conversation.

"How's Jessy?" Lia asked at some point.

"Good," Phil answered.

"Phil it's okay, I know about everything," Lia said, and I was puzzled. Did she know about the party?

Phil looked equally shocked. "You do?" he asked skeptically.

"Yup, it's okay, I'm fine with it. I just wish someone would have told me."

"Eh... that is quite surprising, actually."

Did Lia find out about everything?

"You know, I live by the saying: actions speak louder than words, so..."

"Well... that changes everything," Phil looked nervous.

Indeed, maybe I should inform the others? But then it will ruin what we prepared. I decided to just let things go along.

"What about your hacker boyfriend though?" Phil was asking now, and my heart was beating fast. What would Lia's reaction be?

"He is not my boyfriend!" I heard Lia remarking loudly.

I felt my heart sinking. So she doesn't see me that way...? Do I mean nothing to you, Lia? Have you forgotten me already?

"So... your single?" I heard Phil asking.

Okay, buddy not so fast! I was first!

"Yeah, yeah," I heard Lia saying.

For now.

I heard Phil mumbling, "good, very good..."

Good for me.

They were not both leaving the burger place and I looked at my watch. Soon in a couple of minutes, Phil had to go back to the Aurora, and he can finally leave Lia alone. Afterward, I won't let him near her anymore.

They were walking together close, too close in my opinion. I saw Phil wrapping his arm around Lia's shoulder. I saw Lia look Phil in the eyes. That doesn't look good. I had to do something without revealing my identity.

I walked toward them at a fast pace and embraced myself as I bumped into Phil's shoulder as hard as I can. He almost fell, and I felt a great satisfaction hearing him in pain. I walked away in the opposite direction, but I am sure this will make him keep his hands from her for a while.

"Hey! Watch out where you are walking man!" Phil yelled at me. He probably knew it was me.

And you watch out what your hands are touching.

I turned around a corner and tried to walk back to them from a different side, so they don't see me close by. I saw Phil and Lia now at the bridge, where it's romantic as fuck. Not really the best situation for me. I noticed Phil scooting closer to Lia, totally using this to his advantage.

That slimy grease ball just doesn't get it when to give up!

I saw that Lia was looking into his eyes.

No, no, no, I have to do something. I took out my phone and turned my volume up to the maximum.

I have listened countless times to Lia singing that song from Lana Del Rey called Blue Jeans. I know as a matter of fact that she sang that song because of me, the song resonated with her feelings clearly, and she sang it every time she claimed that she missed me.

Remember me, Lia! Please don't forget about me!

I forwarded to the refrain part and pressed play.

I saw Lia stopping moving towards Phil, listening to the song. She then pushed Phil away with a sorry look on her face. I sighed in relief.