Chapter 16: Richy

Jake runs and runs through the mines. He had to get out if he didn't want to get caught. He was glad that Hannah was finally safe, but the FBI is hot on his heels, and he still had to do one more thing...

He had to find Richy. He could get caught, lost for days in the tunnels, or even worse, he could seriously get hurt in these abandoned mines. Just as he thought his situation cannot get worse, he started to smell smoke not far from him, but giving up on Richy is simply impossible. He has changed into a man who once again cares for others than him. It was all thanks to Lia. She has said she would take care of Richy, but his gut feeling told him to still look out for the mechanic.

The smoke got worse now. Something was definitely burning! He followed the walls that were glowing with orange. He increased his speed and almost bumped the wall when he took a sharp left. There, on the floor, defeated and frozen, sat Richy, flames dangerously close to him.

"Richy!" Jake shouted.

Richy looked up and even though his eyes still looked dull, he looked quite surprised and confused. Jake was still wearing his face mask, and Richy has never seen him before, so it was no surprise that he didn't recognize Jake.

Jake grabbed Richy and tried to get him up.

"Up! We need to get out of here!" Jake shouted. The flames got closer.

"Why...? Who are you? Leave me here, I'm not going anywhere..." Richy trailed off.

"I won't let you, you are coming with me, back to Hannah, Lilly, Dan, Cleo, Thomas, and Lia!" now Jake started to pull Richy away who was still limp and emotionless.

"Lia...? How do you know her?" A flash of emotions came across Richy.

"I'm Jake, I became part of the group. The group of people who are eagerly waiting for you!" now Jake started to run as he dragged Richy with him.

"The group..." Richy repeated.

"Yes the group, now come with me," Jake started to cough caused by the smoke.

Richy had tears in his eyes. "I did unspeakable things... I kidnapped and held Hannah captive; I was the man without a face! There is no coming out from that."

Jake looked around for the next escape, if he remembered correctly, there was still one way out left... He turned left.

"Everyone makes mistakes, me included," Jake began. Please let that be the right way...

"My mistakes are unforgivable," Richy sobbed.

"You can find that out after we escaped from this mine," Jake turned right.

They kept walking until Jake, to his relief, saw what he was looking for. A pond.

He took off his facemask. Richy looked at him. The smoke has reached this cave.

"Look Richy, I don't know if you can be forgiven or not, but I have seen people do worse, and they are still alive. As long as you are alive, you can still make up for what you did, but when you're dead, there is no chance for redemption anymore. All I know is that you have friends waiting for you, Hannah included," Jake took off his hoodie and threw it away.

He turned to Richy. "It is your decision, if you want to redeem yourself and see your friends, take a deep breath and follow me, if not, you can either be burnt or drowned. Your choice, but I implore you to take the wise one."

Jake hoped by presenting Richy with these two choices, Richy will find the strength to follow him. He didn't want to leave Richy in the mines, but at this point, there is nothing else he could do. An explosion could be heard in the distance and the cave started to rumble.

"Decide now!" Jake shouted before jumping into the water and swimming through the flooded mine that should lead outside to another small pond.

Richy was standing alone in the cave, looking at where the explosion and smoke came from, then back at the pond. With one deep breath, he jumped into the water, following Jake.