Right to the Throne

ความเกียจคร้านเป็นมลทินแห่งผิวพรรณ. Grace is destroyed through laziness.

Nara sat up smiling as he touched his forehead. The birds had started cooing and chattering as the sun rose. He helped himself to the food that was laid by his side on the bed as the servants exit after setting it down. In another half an hour, he was back to looking out the window through time that never seemed to pass. He sighed and laid his head back as his neck had begun hurting from keeping his sight hooked to the window. 

I hope you meant what you said. I feel the same. Even though he didn't remember what it was, he wasn't dense to not grasp the obvious. He ran his fingers along his forehead thinking back to the moment his lips touched him. A sense of calm and warmth he had never experienced before. As though the world screamed that his problems could be forgotten for the time being. His smile dropped as the guard announced the arrival of the King. He helped himself up, sitting and leaning against the grand headboard. He looked skeptically at Thasit who sat down by his side on the bed. He looked at Nara's wounded feet and looked out the window sighing. He reached out his hand, taking Nara's hand in his own. 

"Why are your hands trembling? Did you eat? Should I call the physician?"

"It's because of you,", Nara spoke, gathering his courage. He knew he could have been punished worse than this if he managed to irk Thasit the wrong way. 

"Am I that bad of a person, Nara?" He put on a weak smile and pulled his hands back. He forced a laugh as he nodded. 

"I might actually be, a very bad person?" He asked, unsure himself. 

"What brings you here, Your Majesty?" Thasit turned to face him. 

"Why? You want me to leave?" 

"I have nothing to speak to you", Nara said looking down at his hands. 

"You must have had a tough time Nara. But, I go through worse everyday, just to be where I am"

"Going through hard times isn't an excuse enough to be ignorant and cruel, Your Majesty", Nara murmured, immediately regretting what he had said. He looked at Thasit who was now frowning.  But he smiled it off. 

"Ignorant and cruel? So that is your perception of me?" 

"The thousands that died at my hands, it would all come back to me one day, wouldn't it?" Thasit spoke as he walked towards the window. 

"Shouldn't you have realised that before killing them? That you didn't even wait for a mourning period before taking the throne after your nephews death. You will go to any extent-"

"..was my brother", Thasit paused as he looked at the swans in the pond. 

"My life Nara, it's a story among commoners. You must have heard..", he spoke as he walked closer to the bed and sat down beside Nara, taking hold of his hands and brushing his fingers against the back of his palms, "..that I was adopted by my father, Athreyathat's grandfather". 

"You must have heard of the plague that impacted the tribal community up North. But they died only because I was born. Because they knew...", he brushed Nara's hand with his thumb, "...that an heir was born. The plague also got my father whom I still know nothing about", he talked as if under a spell but pulled himself out of the trance, glancing at Nara who looked shocked at the information which was just divulged.

"Why? Why would you tell me all of this?"

"Because like you said, I'll go to any extent to get what I want. You're bound to me for life Nara", he brushed his fingers against his cheeks, making him turn away in disgust.