A Night to Remember

คนมีปัญญาทราม ย่อมทำความประทุษร้าย A fool always acts maliciously

He had sat by the window in Ayu's chamber until dawn when streaks of sunrays illuminated the ground, projecting the shades of the tree outside on the floor of the room. He stared at it for a few minutes until he saw Ayuseth looking at him from the opposite side of the room. 

"I better leave. I need to get ready", Nara said, walking to the door. 

"You can talk to me anytime Nara. I'll listen to you", he reassured him, brushing his hand against his shoulders before Nara walked out. 

...

Nara walked into the dancers quarters to find the troupe gathered in front of the master. He bowed and knelt down, sitting on his legs, a little away from the rest of them. 

"As the King has informed us, Nara would lead the performance opening. He drew annoyed stares from the troupe which he pretended to ignore. After the briefing, the students dispersed, leaving Nara and Dainath in the room. Dainath got up and Nara did the same, bowing to walk out. 

"Nara, I don't regret teaching you my child", Dainath spoke, making Nara turn around to face him. Dainath walked closer, putting a hand on his shoulder. 

"You are indeed more talented than the rest of them. And I'm glad I could help you flourish that talent", Nara looked at the master, a wave of relief flowing through him. 

"But back then Nara, they were no different from you. You were all the same to me", Nara frowned as his teacher continued speaking, "..but all of a sudden Nara, the respect that you command is way higher than them"

"But Master, I never.."

"I know you probably didn't do it knowingly, but now it feels like you're someone out of all our reach Nara. I don't know if I'm even qualified to teach you anymore. I'd like it, even if the King insisted, you refrain from rejoining the troupe. It's a request", Dainath walked away after forcing a smile. Nara grew furious at what his life had come out to be. He grit his teeth and stormed out of the room heading towards the throne hall. 

...

"I'm relieved that the proceedings have almost concluded. You deserve to rest well, Your Majesty", Subana spoke as he sat among the ministers in front of the King.

"I'm grateful for your concern but we still have a grand performance to end the night, don't we?" He asked smiling. 

"Sure, we do, Your Majesty", Subana replied as his smile disappeared. The fact that some commoner received more attention from the King that his son, left a bitterness in him. 

A guard walked in informing the King something in his ears. The ministers watched in anticipation while Nakayama frowned wondering what the issue was. The King stood up, "I will meet everyone at night for the event then", he said and rushed out the room. 

"Who else knows?" He asked the guard while Nakayama followed him out closely after. 

"Just a few servants", the guard replied as he led him to his chamber. Thasit stood shocked as he looked at the state of the room. The royal white robe, meant to be a significant part of the rituals lay tainted on the ground. He looked at the man being held down by two guards, smirking with no sign of regret. Thasit picked the royal sword out of it's casket in his regal vestment holding the tip against the prisoner's neck. 

"I have committed treason, haven't I? You have to kill me now!" He said laughing. Nakayama stood behind Thasit in shock, glaring at Nara. 

"Naga, take care of this quietly", Thasit whispered before turning around. He stopped at the sight of the ministers crowded outside the room. Whispers passed around through the crowd as he turned around to look at Naga, who looked back at him with the same worried expression. 

"Such disrespect for the crown? Your Majesty...", Lokanath spoke, giving other ministers the courage to speak up. Thasit raised his hands, gesturing him to stop while gritting his teeth. He looked back at Nara who was now laughing, expecting the obvious end. 

"What can be more important to a dancer than his legs?" He spoke glaring at Nara. He stared back in disbelief as the guards lifted him up making him stand on his feet. Subana smirked as he sneaked out from among the ministers and made his way out of the corridor.  

"The pit, light it again", he instructed Nakayama who immediately gasped. He looked at Thasit in anticipation, in hopes that he would change his decision. Thasit looked outside at the ministers who were equally shocked but thought it was reasonable. They talked among themselves as they dispersed quietly. Thasit looked back at Nara one more time as they dragged him out.
...

The pit of burning wood was a part of the old temple. Meant to keep the shrine hot during winters, it would have been a few years since it was last lit. 

Nara grit his teeth as the heat from the burning wood penetrated the skin on the soles of his feet. His hands were tied on a pole erected atop a square area of burnt out wood. A few ministers walked past as they overheard the ongoings. Nakayama and his guards dispersed the gathered crowd and the rest of the ministers walked out to attend the rest of the ceremony in the grand hall. 
...

Rathsam smiled as his father informed him. 

"Good thing I took the ministers with me. The King was left with no choice", he laughed. 

"Thank you father. This was never supposed to be his stage anyway. That cunning low life"

"Don't ruin your mood now. Go get ready. The King has returned to the hall", Subana said tapping his shoulders. Rathsam bowed and walked back to the room of performers. 

...

Upon the first sounding of the payu duen, the song that announces the entry of the lord, the dancers gathered depicting a battle scene through a khon play led by Rathsam. The play progressed with the sounding of the pi phat, Ayuseth frowned as his hands meticulously followed the practiced routine. Nara was nowhere to be found, even though he had heard of the King's special consideration for him. Rathsam led the army of lings (monkeys) into battle, fighting the yak (ogres). As the play progressed, Rathsam couldn't help but feel the pride of performing at the royal halls. He was shocked upon the disrespect although, as the King walked out followed by Nakayama. His expression faltered for a bit before he regained his composure, continuing the play for ministers, he didn't value. Among the audience, his father set his eyes, glaring upon the royal chamber above, where the King no longer was present. Amidst, the orchestra troupe, Ayuseth did the same. 

...

"The royal physician?"

"He's on his way, Your Majesty", Naga replied as they rushed through the corridors. They walked into the heavily decorated and comfortable chamber to find Nara asleep on the bed. The physician's assistant rubbed on herbs and medicines onto a cloth before tying them around Nara's feet. 

"Everyone except the physician can leave", Thasit spoke. Nakayama looked at him for a moment before gesturing the guards to leave. Once they had left, he bowed leaving after the physician's assistant. 

The physician, tend to the wounds on Nara's legs while Thasit stood in his spot at the foot of the bed, looking at Nara. A sense of guilt and helplessness flowed through him as the futility of his position and the power he was handed over today, dawned upon him. 

Is this how you felt Athreya? I think I'm beginning to understand you. He thought as he stood in the spot for a long time that night.