A Dreadful Change

จงลงมือสร้างความเปลี่ยนแปลงอย่างที่คุณอยากเห็นบนโลก
Be the change you want to see in the world

The market was still bustling with people. He pushed aside a few sellers from his way as he rushed through the crowd. Headed for the destination that he frequented often since his teenage years.

"Behind you, watch out", he screamed as he ran past people in front of the vegetable stall laid out along the sides of the roads in the market. 

Can't be late. Can't be late. He chanted in his mind as he turned right at the Persian merchants who displayed an array of textiles and toys. He stopped abruptly at the food stall where he got his breakfast. 

"You're late today", the old man exclaimed as he handed over a prawns curry and rice in a small bamboo bowl. 

"Lathon's ship didn't sail today. I usually wake up to his screams at the sailor. I forgot that my dear neighbour will be away on his sea adventure for two months", he said pointing towards the river beyond the market. The old man laughed and went to attend to other customers. Once he was done almost swallowing the bowl of food, he kept it aside along with the payment of cowrie shells and started his sprint again. 

He took a sharp right at the spice stall and continued until coming to another stop in front of a huge wooden gate with intricate designs carved on it. He sighed and made his way past the gate and into the vast courtyard. 

"Oh here comes. The star of our group", a lean built fellow spoke with envy as Narathip walked past the entrance of the courtyard. A couple feet right to the main building, a flight of stairs led to an upper terrace with a triangular thatched roof. The play was taught and practiced here. Much of the day would pass in taunts and competition among the pupils. Narathip was mostly immune to the words thrown at him by the brats. He walked up the flight of stairs and paid respects to the teacher who was already seated at the front. The pupils took their positions and performed their warm up which was a combination of moves from opening dances called ram or rabam.

After a tiring routine, in a far corner at the seminary, Narathip sat with his bowl of fresh fruits and an egg dessert, a delicacy among the nobles. He put one into his mouth and sighed in satisfaction. He hummed and took another bite before he was interrupted by the lean fellow again. 

"Enjoying your time, Narath?" he spoke with hidden malice. 

"What is it, Rathsam? You seem obsessed with me today?" Narathip chuckled as he stuffed his mouth with the dessert and emptied the bowl. 

"In return for my father's help in getting the alliance of the Khraeng kingdom, the King has allowed us to perform at the royal court", Rathsam said awaiting a response. He got closer, smacking the bowl off Narathip's hands making it topple to the floor. 

"You're going to get on your high horse and make excuses aren't you? Even when you're getting to perform officially before your investiture" He smirked. 

"I'll try to make it this time", Narathip gave a hollow promise, standing up and walked past them after picking up the bowl off the floor. 

"Well, what can he do? He grew up fatherless. I am skeptical even about his noble status", one of the boys behind him mocked. The rest of the boys laughed and chuckled loud enough so everyone in the courtyard heard it but not enough for their master to hear. 

...

Narathip sighed as he shifted his jute bag from one hand to the other and walked past the straw gate to enter a small hut; made of mud bricks, wood and straws. He opened the wooden door and walked in. This was his identity and he wasn't sure how long he would have to hide it. He took a deep breath and opened the pots in a corner of the room, an apparent kitchen. He gobbled up the leftover rice and laid down on the straw mat supporting his head with his forearm.