A Tragic End

ความชนะใดที่ชนะแล้วกลับแพ้ได้ ความชนะนั้นไม่ดี A victory that is liable to future defeat is not a real victory

"The Samuha Kalahom has called for a meeting with the Kings of the five tributary kingdoms two days later", Ruangrith spoke standing beside the bed where the King laid sniffling. He was a close confidante of the King and a royal guard. Athreyathat got up, balancing his weight on his palms as he pushed himself up. 

"The funeral?" He asked, distressed. 

"The funeral is being held across the river at the Wat Worachettharam tomorrow", Ruangrith replied dismally. 

(Wat Worachettharam-a Buddhist temple said to have been built by King Ekathotsarot) 

"Tomorrow!" Athreyathat was shocked at the news. He climbed out of bed almost falling as he pushed Ruangrith aside and rushed out. 

...

"Phra Thasit!" The young King shouted as he entered the throne hall where Ministers and nobles had gathered. Thasit sat at the front of the gathering on a red cushion. 

(Phra- a prefix denoting royal status)

"What brings you here, Your Majesty?" Subana said getting up. The others in a split second, stood up, bowing to the King. 

"Why is the Queen Mother being cremated tomorrow? How dare you disrespect her as such!" The King fumed as he walked up to stand before Thasit. 

"The monsoon rain will pour down soon. If we don't carry out the cremation now, we would have to wait until next summer, Your Majesty", Thasit reasoned lifting his head up to look at him. The King was however furious. Traditionally, funerals commanded the prescence of nobles and monks from across the Kingdom with the construction of the structures for cremation itself taking several months to complete. For a royal family member, especially someone as revered as the Queen Mother, anything less than that would be an insult. 

"No, I won't stand such disparage of my mother", Athreyathat rubbed his eyes that now teared up. 

"The Ministers have decided collectively on this. I shall handle the preparations to the best of my abilities", Thasit reassured the King. Athreya looked behind at the row of men; each holding position and power, each standing behind his uncle in every decision of his. 

"But-", the young boy was incapable in the face of dozens of powerful men at the palace. A King for the sake of it. I should have known. He thought as he gave up. 

"Shh, my child. You're too young to process this", he said holding Athreya's nape and pulling him into a hug. He patted his back as the young boy stood still, helpless and finally conceding that his title meant nothing here. 

...

The procession for the funeral was planned to be held across the river. Before sunrise, five barges were arranged, each of them taking the King, the Ministers and the nobles ashore. As per the timing suggested for the cremation by the Head Monk, the barges sailed to take the passengers to the temple. The King and his guards boarded the first barge, the Ministers, the monks and the nobles in the rest. 

"Where is that boy? Athreya's friend?" Thasit asked Subana as they watched the first ship sail in front of them. Subana shook his head to indicate his cluelessness. 

"Are you sure it will-", Subana stopped when Thasit hissed. His frown turning into a smirk, he clarified "I oversaw the caulking of the barge myself. What use is a barge if it won't float?" Subana nodded and looked ahead at the barge that was quickly losing the cotton mesh in the seams due to the lack of resin binding it.