Tension Rising

Hey friends! Back with a new chapter. I hope you enjoy and thanks for reading! I'm so sorry that updates have been very minimal, but I thank you guys for sticking around, always! Tension is RISING this chapter. Buckle up, bitches.

...

While Emily was out and about for the day with Meghan, Sue ended up leaving the apartment for the day, too, and not returning until about a quarter to midnight that evening. She went out and grabbed lunch with an old co-worker and then went for dinner, drinks and a movie with Emily's sister and their friend Jane around six o'clock. They went to the AMC movie theater down by the Boston Common because they were running an old-time Christmas movie marathon all weekend long to get everyone ready for the holidays coming up in just a few more short weeks.

When Sue opened the door to the apartment, she expected to come home to an empty apartment because Emily had mentioned she was most likely going to spend the night over at Meghan's. It was much to her surprise when she saw Emily with a girl, who Sue obviously assumed was Meghan, on the couch —laughing and chatting it up while they sipped on some wine.

"Oh, Sue!" Emily said happily, smiling at her. She waved her hand to gesture her over.

Sue nodded with a small smile and walked over to them on the couch. She nodded at Emily and then smiled at the girl next to her, "Hi, I'm Sue. It's nice to meet you... uh..."

"Meghan." She said, smiling back at Sue. "It's a pleasure, Sue. Emily always talks so much about you."

"Oh, does she now?" Sue asked, glancing at Emily with her eyebrows raised. "I hope only good things, of course." Sue teased.

Meghan chuckled and nodded, "All good things!"

Emily cut in, "I only ever have good things to say about you, Susie."

Sue smiled big at her and then at Meghan, "I, uh, honestly didn't expect you guys to be here when I got back since Emily mentioned you guys may stay at your place, Meghan. Please—if you guys are planning on staying here, I'll grab my things, go back to my place and leave you guys to it."

"No!!" Emily practically shouted in a panic, causing both Sue and Meghan to jump. She cleared her throat and adjusted herself in her seat, "I just... I just mean that you don't have to leave. I—I don't think you were planning on staying the night—were you, Meg?"

Sue subtly moved her eyes to look at Meghan for a reaction after Emily asked that question. She opened and closed her mouth a couple of times as she tried to find the words she wanted to say. She finally hesitantly shook her head, "No... I, um, guess not then."

"Perfect!" Emily said simply, now looking back at Sue seriously, "Please stay. Go make yourself comfortable."

Sue looked between Emily and Meghan for a moment, and she could tell Meghan felt a little uncomfortable. She couldn't deny the fact that she felt bad for Meghan because she could tell that she wanted to spend the night with Emily, but she also wondered why'd they even came back to Emily's place all together since they were originally supposed to go back to Meghan's for the night.

"A—are you sure?" Sue finally asked a bit hesitantly, "I really don't mind. I feel like I'm impos—."

"Susie, you are not imposing—please." Emily said seriously, biting her lip slightly. "Go upstairs. I'll be there in a bit."

Sue looked between the two of them again and sighed just barely, "Okay, I'll, um, be on my way then. It was nice to finally meet you, Meghan. I'm sure this won't be the first time."

Meghan nodded and smiled, "Sure—it was nice meeting you, too, Sue."

And with that, Sue awkwardly backed up and made her way to the small staircase across the living room. She could hear their muffled talking as she went upstairs but couldn't make out any more of their conversation once she entered Emily's room and shut the door. The only real phrase Sue caught was coming out of Emily's mouth and she said, "What, babe?"