Meeting her...yet Again

Several Years Later..

It was time for the yearly fair. Dwarka seemed dressed up in her best attire. Work had stopped earlier so that people could enjoy with their families and friends at the fair. As you entered the fair, you could hear a cacophony of voices. People danced to the beat of the drums. The atmosphere smelt of jalebis, rasamalai and all the sweet dishes and fries that were being made. It was the best time of the year for the young and the old, the rich and the poor.

The maids had dressed Subhadra in a pink coloured Lehenga. Her hair was tied in a bun and a garland of jasmines was tied on it. She gave out a golden radiance as she walked through the street with her sakhis. Uma was chatting jovially with her about her upcoming swayamvar. She saw her brother Balram drinking Sur with Kritvarma a few paces away. He had returned from Hastinapur a day before. He had told Subhadra that he had a surprise for her but will only tell her after he had discussed it with their parents.

"Wonder what surprise he has!" Uma said observing the direction of Subhadra's gaze.

"I cannot guess. It must be something magnanimous or why would he have to talk to Pitashri and Mata about it?" Subhadra replied.

"Do you think  Ranchor Dau can tell us anything about it?"

"My bhaiya Krishna only talks in riddles. It is impossible to get a straight reply out of him. I could have asked him but he is too busy with a friend of his to give me much attention." Subhadra sighed.

"Looks like we will just have to wait then." Uma replied.

Mahasweta, daughter of Kritvarma called out to Subhadra," Jiji look at those beautiful conch bangles. We must buy some."

Uma left immediately to see the conch bangles. Subhadra looked around to find her brother Krishna somewhere. Her gaze climbed up and down the street and then up the slope of the nearby hill where she at last spotted him. He was busy casting his charming smile on the people in the fair. She saw a slight hint of butter smearing his lips. Subhadra smiled jovially at her brother's child like attitude. Then Subhadra's gaze fell on the man standing beside him and the world stopped for a second.

Standing beside Krishna was a man of dark complexion, tall and strong in built. His muscular flexible body gave an aura which seemed to mingle with her brother's. He was stout and proud. But his shining eyes were looking at her with more meaning than any wanderer's. He was dressed like a tapasvi but his eyes told that there was more to him. His grey eyes melted into Subhadra's brown. Sweat trickled down her neck. Subhadra stood there, her mouth agape in wonder. Suddenly the man's gaze soothed. As if realizing he was staring he hurriedly moved his gaze apart. Subhadra stood there in a trance, oblivious to whatever was going on around her.