7) Part One [1]

7) Part One

~Unknown POV~

April Williams was stood outside in her aunt's garden, barely dressed. The sun was high in the sky, which they'd tactfully concealed themselves against by hiding within the thickness of the trees.

Leaves rustled and brightly coloured flowers swayed in the occasional wind. The afternoon was otherwise a scorcher, with nothing to extinguish the hot air that floated around them.

Slowly as not to creak the branches, they shifted their weight which relieved themselves from the sharp branch which was poking into their legs. When they were once again comfortable, they peered back at the scenery below.

They watched as April laughed at something her aunt had said. A sneer came to their lips.

How dare she live, they thought venehmently. How dare she breathe after the crimes she has committed.

The only pleasure they got out of the sight was to think that it was too hot for the likes of the young human. It would explain after all why the girl continued to cool her face repeatedly.

Beside the human, not two metres away, stood her aunt who was roasting raw meat on a contained fire. The contraption was what humans labelled a 'barbeque.' As her aunt continued to laugh with her niece; both faces brightly lit despite the heat, they squinted their eyes.

The scene was repulsing.

In fact, they wished nothing more than to wring the scrawny pale neck of the human that was April Williams, and in broad daylight. It still sickened them that they had failed all those years ago to kill her, after all. Now, that they were close enough, they couldn't do it. April was under Micah's protection. They were forbidden to kill her.

How fate could be cruel.

"Do you want some ketchup?" They heard April's aunt ask as she lifted a piece of meat that was roasting on the contraption. She handed it to her niece on a plate before giving her a napkin.

The younger human shook her head as she bit into the meat before moaning in delight, judging by the look on her face. They could smell the heavenly scent of the food from where they perched. In order to concentrate, they shook their head.

In their book, murderers should have no such thing as a happy life. Not when the families of their victims were left behind to mourn the loss of those they'd once loved.

Resisting the urge to pounce on the human, they took a deep breath in order to remain calm. The very idea that April had gotten away with her crimes made them spite everything they once stood for, including their own kind. How sickening it was that the young human's fate had been so lenient.

Leaning in, they watched April closer as she ate with her aunt. They hadn't noticed they'd scraped the bark of the tree of with their sharp nails until they felt it under nails.

At least now it would not be so, they thought to themselves as they pulled the bark out from under their nails. Fate would not be as kind the April Williams, they would make sure of it.

Their job was to scare her, the Prince had said. They were to lure the fallen, Gabe, towards April in the hopes that they would join once more. A crooked grin made its way across their face, transforming it into something hideous, as they contemplated what would surely come after.

Oh how they would give the human the fright of her life and make it count. It would the least they could do for their brother.

*