Chapter 26

" So hear me out, let's just act cool. Cool as in, just pretend that even though we are a little shocked at having each other as mates, we are still taking it in stride. We will go about our day as we normally do and if someone asks about the mating ceremony or anything, we can simply say that we are just taking this relationship slow, getting to know each other better", I said, fairly confident that, at this very moment, acting like us being mates, was no big deal, was the best plan of action.

Though believe me when I say that my wolf was completely against the abhorrent idea and he made that abundantly known, by pushing really hard, trying to come to the forefront of my mind, and taking over.

I fought against him, determined to not let him mess with my feeling at least for the time being. With a lot of willpower, I was able to push him to the very back of my mind where he had resided for most of last year.

I knew that my wolf was extremely pissed with me, but this was something that needed to be done. The last words that I heard from him before I pushed him to the dark crevices of my mind were, " You are making mate sad" and soon, all I was left with was a nasty headache and a sinking feeling in my gut.

It really pained me to do this, to make my wolf suffer but this was indispensable.

It was clear as day that my wolf had already accepted Sam's wolf as his mate, even though I was nowhere near wrapping my head around this entire thing. It was obvious that it will
take me a while to sort out my feelings, toward this utterly unexpected situation that moon goddess has decided to spring on me.

Thus, in the meanwhile, I needed a quick plan of action, to buy me some time and also not make my pack mates hate me in the long run.

But alas, if the growl that left Sam's throat was anything to go by, he, like my wolf, clearly did not agree with my so-called plan.

" Really taking it in stride and getting to know each other better, that is your great plan? Did you just forget that we have known each other since we were not even old enough to wipe our own butts? Or have you completely forgotten my existence in your life, in the one year that I have been away.", growled Sam, staring me down. If looks could kill, I would already be 7 feet under.

"Your farce of a plan is so not going to work, I say that we just tell everyone that we are mates and that given the fact that 'you are as straight as a pole' your words not mine, you cannot accept this mating bond", Sam finished, still very much glaring at me, though his voice did hitch at the end, clearly indicating that his wolf was so not happy with whatever he just said.

He really does look sad, I thought, looking at his grim face and sad eyes and suddenly out of nowhere, I was hit with this obsessive urge to take him in my arms and keep him there, until all that was left of his face was a happy smile, directed at me, only me. I really wished that I could blame this strange feeling on my wolf but that would be a lie.

Oh my moon goddess, what kind of sorcery is this, I thought, feeling emotions that were becoming excessively difficult to name. But I knew that I just can't give in now so I took a deep breath and powered through.

" We can't do that. It would just not set the right example for our pack members if their Alpha goes around rejecting his mate and that too because he is a man. I may be straight but I just can't let people think that rejecting their destined mate, chosen by the moon goddess herself, was something that was okay to do", I said, getting up from my chair and walking to the other side of the room.

I opened the wall safe using the safe code and took out a box. I could feel Sam's eyes following every move of mine. I turned, facing him again, and continued trying to make him understand that pretending to be a happy couple was the best idea, at this very juncture, maybe not for not ourselves, but for the benefit of our pack.