Chapter 1

Blend in or die. That was the mermaids' motto. Or it should be with how many times it was drilled into Ruoxi's head. She listened to it now as she darted behind a limestone pillar. It'd once been at the bottom of the Mariana Trench and had taken a hundred and thirty mermaids and a couple of whales to move the damn thing, but they got it to the palace. Her father demanded it.

Failure, after all, wasn't accepted in his kingdom. Of course, neither was eavesdropping, but Ruoxi couldn't help herself. Knowing what her father and aunt were arguing about-and oh fin were they ever-was worth its weight in pearls. Secrets were a form of currency in the palace, and she needed all the secrets she could hoard.

"Absolutely not." Her aunt pinned her dad with a piercing look that could flay scales off a cod. "You are not going."

As King of the Pacific Ocean, her father should have been decked out in jewels and a gold crown, but all he wore were cobalt cuffs encircling his forearms. It'd been given to him by his wife on their wedding day. "If we are to keep our waters peaceful, I must go."

"Those algae scum surrendered to us over two hundred and forty moon cycles ago. They hold no power in the Pacific."

"Prince Agustin and his people control the coral reefs, not to mention they breed some of the best dolphins in the world. We need to keep them happy and tied to us. We cannot afford another war."

Her aunt's hand flexed as if to grab her favorite weapon-a silver trident with a water snake engraved on the handle. "If you killed the prince and his family line as I suggested, there would be no talk of war."

"He was just a boy when his father declared war on us. He had no part in it."

"That boy is now a man. You don't think revenge burns through his veins?"

"It was either surrender to me or the Southern Kingdom, and we all know I was the better choice. The Southerners are barbarians and would have enslaved his people. Prince Agustin is no fool. He knows I'm all that stands between him and his peoples' doom."

A hefty sigh that let out more than a few air bubbles. "Fine, but as King of the Pacific, you should be demanding he come to you."

"His sister is gravely ill. I would not take him from her."

"Careful, brother." A swish of her tail as she bared her teeth. "Show your softness, and the sharks will circle."

"Isn't that what you're here for?"

A reluctant grin broke through, making her stern aunt look almost youthful, but it disappeared as quickly as it came."What about a comprise? You stay here but send an envoy of your children instead?"

He sat back on his throne, a thoughtful look on his face as his long graying hair swirled around him. "An envoy?"

"The goal is to get Prince Agustin to help with trade routes, correct? Your children are much more charming than you. And more devious."

He drummed his fingers against the throne. "Plus, this will be a good test to see who can put their words into action."

"Are the elders still riding you about choosing an heir?"

Suddenly, Ruoxi's view was blocked by a large back with two axes strapped to it in the shape of an X. The axes were deadly. Polished and sharpened every night by Syouma, one of her father's guards. He put his hand behind his back and flicked a finger at her like she was a piece of plankton. She reached out to poke a spot she knew was ticklish but thought better of it. Syouma had a mean streak and knew too many of her secrets. She was doomed if he let one "accidentally" slip in front of her aunt or father.