Interlude: Funerals

Cliffs of High Tide, Driftmark Island

120 AC

Aunt Laena was dead, and Aemma couldn't believe it.

Aunt Laena, who helped her claim Skyseer, who took her for flights on Vhagar before that, who held herself and her siblings when Mother screams of pain as she gave birth to Daenerys rang through Dragonstone.

Aemma held Grandmother's hand as Aunt Laena's casket was pushed onto the slab of marble. Aemon let Rhaena cry onto his shoulder while Daemon held Baela in his arms.

Aunt Rhaenyra and Uncle Laenor kept their children—six year old Jacaerys, five year old Lucerys, and three year old Joffrey—close as Laenor sobbed for Aunt Laena and Rhaenyra let silent tears flow down her face.

"I'm going to miss Auntie." Aemma whispered.

"I know." Grandmother said, picking her up.

Aemma watched as the stone casket was thrown into the sea.

Laena Velaryon returned to the sea's embrace.

Children's Wing, High Tide

120 AC

"Auntie Lae?" Daenerys inquired later.

All of the Targaryen-Velaryon children had conjoined quarters. One large common room, and then their rooms branched off.

"Not here." Baelor murmured.

"When she come back?" Daenerys demanded.

Aemma looked at Aemon. As the oldest of the children, they were the leaders—Aemon was the leader, with Aemma second in command, and Jacaerys third in command.

Jacaerys had run after Aemma and Aemon, Baelor ran after Jacaerys, with Lucerys running after Baelor, and Baela and Rhaena ran after Lucerys—and Daenerys now joined the dragon flock.

"Never." Aemon said quietly.

Skyseer's lair, the Dragonpit, King's Landing

120 AC

Not a month after Aemma and her family arrived at King's Landing, did the word come.

Uncle Laenor was dead at his friend, Ser Qarl Correy, hand while attending a fair at Spicetown.

Aemma had burst into tears and hid with Skyseer in the Dragonpit.

"Aemma?" a voice called into Skyseer's lair.

"Go away." Aemma snapped.

Rhaenys silently entered the pit, carefully skirting around Skyseer, picking up Aemma. "It's okay, little dragon." she whispered.

"They aren't coming back though." the eldest daughter of the Knight of the Sea murmured.

"No they aren't." the Queen Who Never was whispered, grief in her voice.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it.