Chapter Fifteen ~ Nightflash

Adira

      "Fine," I grumbled, "you don't have to be so demanding."

      I turned into my camouflaged dragon form and intentionally thawed the ice at a very slow pace. Alvin tapped his foot impatiently while Dagur looked like he was about to slit my throat. If only he could see me, which he couldn't.

      Now tell me why I'm here again. My voice echoed eerily in their heads. Both men looked startled.

      "Come out." Alvin seethed, pointing his sword dangerously close to Nightflash's throat. I needed to act fast.

      Okay, Nightflash, whatever you do, don't panic. I'm going to get you out of here unharmed, but you'll have to bear with me.

      Why should I trust you? Her frantic feminine voice rang back.

      Because Melanite does. And your little girl Iris.

      Are you Adira? She mentally gasped.

      Yep, and I'm here to rescue you and turn the other dragons against Alvin and Dagur.

      You won't have to work too hard. Almost every dragon here already despises them.

      Good to know.

      I changed back into a human and acted bored.

      "Remind my why I'm not searing you right now?"

      "Because if you do the Skrill will die. Wouldn't want your precious Melanite to die, would you?" Dagur questioned menacingly. I laughed at his stupidity.

      "That's not Melanite," I said simply and looked around. "So where are these dragons you want me to train?"

      "Start with this one," Alvin gestured to a Scauldron that was so pale it looked almost white.

      "Well, first of all, if you let a Scauldron's scales dry all the way, it will die. So it's best you get it in some water right now."

      Dagur nodded, slightly intrigued, and started shouting orders at his men. After a second of being thoroughly soaked, the Scauldron's skin turned green again. It looked relieved to be back in the water.

      "So what I'm wondering is," I said to Alvin and Dagur, "am I supposed to train your dragons myself, or teach you how to train them?"

      "Train them yourself," Dagur answered with raised eyebrows.

      I smirked, "it's on."

      Four days passed. During the night I was confined to a cell, which was ridiculous because everyone knew I could easily escape. Dragon by dragon, I convinced them to turn on the Berserkers and Outcasts. 

      My plan was to break out, save Nightflash, and flee. When Alvin and Dagur tried to tell the dragons to chase us, they would be met by furious flames.

      So, on the fourth night when almost everyone was asleep, I turned into a dragon and merely imagined the bars of the cell noiselessly opening into a gaping hole. Then I turned back into a human and undid the ropes bound around Nightflash. I changed into a dragon and we silently climbed into the night sky.

Nightflash

      Melanite didn't lie about the decency of Adira. I remember those long nights we had together while mating. He really opened up and told me everything about his life, which wouldn't even exist if it hadn't been for Adira.

      I remember his tales about how the Berserkers would try to capture Melanite over and over. Dagur even attacked two Vikings, Bucket and Mulch, just because they saw him. He had escaped many times over, but one afternoon he just gave in. He was sick of running and knew that it was high time to stop. That was until Adira and her Typhoomerang friend showed up and rescued him. Just like what Adira did for me.

      "So, where are we headed?" I asked quietly.

      "Berk, I guess. Unless there's somewhere else you would like to go." She replied, her tone inviting.

      "No, Berk is good. I want to see Melanite and my daughter. How is she doing, by the way?" I questioned, noticing her slight hesitation.

      "Oh, she's great. Her name's Iris. She's very beautiful."

      "Is there anything else about her?" I asked, squinting my eyes, "Melanite's taking care of her, right?"

      "Well, there's the catch. On my birthday around three weeks ago, Melanite gave her to me as a gift. I tried to refuse but he insisted, saying that he didn't trust anyone on Berk more than me. So she's kind of like my adopted daughter of sorts."

      This news took me by surprise. But Melanite trusted her, and she did possibly save my life, so I was fairly sure Iris was in safe hands.

      "Does she have any friends?" I probed.

      "Yes, six good ones, they're like her siblings. On my birthday I got six others eggs as well." Adira answered back.

      "You sure are busy," I returned, almost dreamily, "so what are her friends like?"

      "Oh, lovely. There's Rainbow, the Changewing. Her name kind of speaks for itself. And there's Hurricane the Thunderdrum and Ruby the Stormcutter. There's also Snowspirit the Wholly Howl and Bluesky the Windstriker. And Magnet, the Sword Stealer."

      "That sounds like quite the crowd." I warbled softly, not paying much attention to the conversation. All that filled my thoughts were images of Melanite. His voice, eyes, everything. He was perfect and I couldn't wait to see him again. I hoped he felt the same way.

      "You should have seen Melanite's reaction when he found out that you were being held," Adira stated, voicing my thoughts exactly.

      "Was he upset?" I asked curiously.

      "Furious. He demanded to come with me but of course, I needed him to take care of Iris for you..." She trailed off, obviously becoming unsure of her decision.

      "That's perfect. If Iris and Melanite are okay, I don't need anything else in life." I assured her. She seemed happy that I mentioned that.

      "Good, I was beginning to doubt myself." She said with a slight smile. Of course, dragons can't really smile, but the corners of her mouth lifted slightly. I guess it counts. "I'm just curious about why you keep asking about Iris?"

      "She's Melanite and I's little girl. I only want the best for her. I think she is getting it."

      Adira ducked her head in embarrassment, "thank you." That was when we reached a land I vaguely recognized. "And here we are. Welcome to Berk."

A/N: This was a filler of sorts, but I really wanted to see things from Nightflash's point of view.