Chapter Ten ~ I'm a Dragon?!

Adira

      I woke up in the late afternoon. When I stumbled outside my house, I noticed Melanite showing off his Strike Class abilities; flying lightning fast, uprooting trees with his jaws, and excelling in some mind game the Hiccup and Astrid were running, while nearby Fishlegs was furiously writing things down.

      "What's going on?" I asked with genuine curiosity.

      "Seeing how alike and different a Night Fury and a Skrill are," Astrid responded with a smile. This was the first time I really noticed her. Blonde hair, blue eyes, tallish and completely pretty and desirable. No wonder I always catch Hiccup and Snotlout staring at her.

      "Yeah, I bet you could use that in your Dragon Academy," I replied, using some pretty obvious powers of implication.

      "Speaking of, Adira," Hiccup said, his voice inviting, "would you like to become an official member of the Dragon Academy?"

      I could feel my face light up. I knew that it caught the attention of the other Academy members, resulting in the heat that crept up my face. 

      "Yeah, sure I'd love to," I answered, trying to sound nonchalant. This earned a few laughs.

      "Aw, look! Little Adira's blushing." Said one of the twins who appeared out of nowhere. 

      For some reason, that comment rubbed me the wrong way. I mean I wasn't that much younger than them. I wasn't really sure of their ages, but I knew they were all around 15 or 16. I was almost 15 so the twins didn't have a very good purpose to say "little Adira".

      "Yeah, but I'm much more mature and intelligent than you two." I snapped back.

      "But we're older, and you're a lot smaller," Ruffnut said with a snicker.

      "My birthday's in two weeks." I pointed out, trying to contain my irritation.

      "Happy early birthday!" Fishlegs called, not paying much attention to the argument as he scribbled furiously on a scroll.

      "And how old will you be, eight?" Tuffnut taunted. Okay, so I may be short enough to look twelve or thirteen, but eight? As if.

      "Twins!" Hiccup shouted, half in exasperation and the other half as a warning while Astrid gave them a death glare. As expected, they ignored it.

      "Fifteen, if you must know." I seethed. Those two idiots could get you very angry. Frustrated enough to turn beet-red and almost punch them. I needed to cool off, so I turned my back and bolted towards the woods.

      I slumped against a tree and tried to control my furious manner, with no such luck. I punched a tree over and over until my knuckles were split and bleeding, and I started choking back tears. Why in Odin's name did those two arrogant human beings have to be so snarky? It wasn't even their words that stung so much. It was their tone of voice and stupid, superior attitude. They acted as if they ruled the world and anyone who questioned them would get publicly humiliated, not unlike how my parents had acted. 

      That's when I felt it. Something sprouting like a plant on my back. I twisted my head around and noticed the two beautiful silver and gold wings. My balance suddenly went haywire and I fell to all fours, unable to stand on two feet. I looked at my legs and saw that they were slim and silver, with gold webbing. My feet had grown black claws and when I ducked my head I saw that I had four legs instead of two. Another twist around showed that I had broad, golden spikes running up my back and tail, which was silver with gold stripes. At the end of my tail was a razor-sharp blade that was a metallic gold color.

      Shock overcame me. I was a dragon. My anger toward the twins turned me into a dragon. Oh my gods.

      I lashed my tail around in a panic and the blade caught on a tree. I prepared myself for the pain to follow, but none came. The blade had skewered straight through the full-grown tree.

      After I calmed down and processed what was happening, I decided to try out flying. I've seen dragons take off and land hundreds of times, so I just copied their movements by memory and leaped into the air, beating my wings. After a few false starts, within ten minutes I had mastered taking off, flying, and landing.

      I wondered what my fire would be like. I thought of hot flames filling my mouth and sure enough, when I opened my jaws, a huge fireball shot out and hit the ground, exploding on contact. My tongue felt a little burnt after that, so I imagined my throat filling with ice. When I opened my mouth again, an ice ball shot out, completely freezing the tree I hit.

      I tried this over and over again. Electricity, water, earth, wind, you name it, shot out of my mouth when I thought of it. By the time I wore myself out, the forest around me was a complete mess.

      I thought hard. Anger made me a dragon so what would make me a human? Certainly the opposite of anger, which is composure. I imagined sitting on a beach and hearing the ocean's gentle waves.

      When I opened my eyes I was a human again. I was about to head back and tell the others of my discovery when an idea crossed my mind. I was going to get back at the twins for embarrassing me. Just imagining their faces brought me back to dragon form.

      I flew back to Berk on silent wings. Once I landed on one of the beaches, I crept up to their house under the cover of nightfall. Ruff and Tuff were in their yard, having punching fight with each other. I let out a throaty growl.

      "Tuffnut, don't turn around now, but there is a giant silver and gold dragon right behind you," Ruffnut whispered, eying me cautiously. Of course, Tuff didn't listen and whipped around right away.

      I narrowed my eyes threateningly.

      "Go get Hiccup to train this dragon, I'll distract it," Tuffnut whispered back. Ruffnut nodded and took off. Just me and Tuff than. Wonderful.

      A smirk crossed my lips and I let out a menacing roar. Tuffnut screamed like a six-year-old girl. It was all I could do to not burst out laughing.

      An ice blast froze the ground and he slipped and fell almost instantly. I smirked again and cunningly let out a specifically shaped rock blast to encase him in a miniature cave. I was about to grab it and fly into the air when Hiccup and Toothless showed up.

      Toothless grinned, "hello Adira."

A/N: LOOK AT THAT CLIFFHANGER, THOUGH! Yeah, it's not much of one, but I'm still proud of it.