23 - Truths among lies

Start from the beginning

"Now you do! Don't you feel a little jealous?"

"To be honest...I'd rather be with him doing all these things, but I've been so busy with those demands from Khun Noo and Vegas...I don't think I can deprive Macau of having fun.

"Hmm, you are already doing favors for your brother-in-law, huh?!"

"..."

"Anyway, don't forget that he is still very young and insecure. It doesn't mean stopping anyone from doing what they want. But...think...certain dynamics don't change that much. Think of a child. If parents let a child do whatever they want, it might seem like that child is very lucky! but at the end of the day that child will believe no one cares. That child will not feel loved."

"Wow...you really seem very knowledgeable about this, Pol."

Romance, crimes, thrillers, horror...family problems...I watched it all with Khun Noo...

"Sure"

"What do I do now?" Arm looks at the time on his watch. "10 p.m."

"How about you go meet him at the bar?!"

"Do you think I should?"

"Of course! He will be surprised...in a good way."

"Uh...It's far from here and he's with Porchay... we can't leave that boy alone."

"I can go with you. My shift is over. I can bring Porchay back to the main family mansion. And you stay with Macau. He can bring you back...or not." I wink at Arm.

"Thanks, Pol!"

Pete's POV

"You are lying." (in English)

His eyes seek the truth within mine, while his hand continues to press on my neck.

"Vegas...ugh...I can't breathe..."

"Who is he?"

Vegas seems to be losing control.

"WHO IS HE?" Vegas erupts in rage pressing my neck.

"THE WHITE KING!!"

I focus the strength on my hands and manage to get Vegas' hand off my neck. But he goes back to holding my wrists.

"COUGH, COUGH!"

"Another damn chess piece."

"He said we know each other... he said he saved my life."

"Friends how? Do you know him?"

"I don't know him! At least...I don't remember knowing him."

"If it was dark in that room, how did you see him?"

"In the chess room."

"Have you entered the chess room? How have you done that? I couldn't use the black king key...what else are you hiding from me, Pete? So you know who he is. Tell me the name!"

"No"

"Why? To protect him? If you don't know him, why do you care?"

'Cause if I tell you who he is, you'll try to kill him and I won't have any answers."

"I won't...not so fast."

"Will you give him a few months like you did with Sanya? I told you we needed him! Sanya is the purple king...he knows how the room works! Did you listen to me? No! You just wanted to eliminate him and work things out your way.

"Sanya... he told you how to use the room...when?? ...wait a minute...you know where he is!...you warned him about me, didn't you?! I should have known you'd be a few steps ahead of me. You don't trust me, Pete!"