Goodbyes

When you are a child, everything seems permanent. And even if it's not, the wheels of your imagination toil day and night to make it last forever. Whether it's a momentary pleasurable ice cream or a summer vacation, happiness drags on.

But as one grows up, this illusion of permanence begins fading. You begin to identify endings. Full stops. Closed doors. You start reading between the lines and realise that every good thing comes to an end. No matter how much you want a weekend to last, or a trip to go on and on, it all comes to an end.

Everyone who had entered the Wada, two weeks ago had been aware that once the wedding is over, they would go separate ways. Some had businesses to run, others had matches to play. Some had to return to their home countries, others had to return to their cities. All in all, no guest was going to stay in the Gaikwad's ancestral home forever.

Yet when the moment of goodbye came, they all felt as if they weren't ready. Strangely the blood relatives found it easy to bless the newlyweds and leave. After all, they knew that they would be seeing each other often. If not, there was always another Diwali where they were bound to meet.

And when there is this default promise to meet again between individuals, feet find it easier to stop lingering.

As a result of this the only ones left in the waada were the bride, groom and his teammates.

Devi made her way to everyone. For one last time.

The first, being obviously, her dear Jad.

"Thank God, Shalimar is staying longer than you Jad. Tu dekh, I'll ride her so often in these two days that she will forget you."

The biggest commonality between Devika and Jaddu was their use of humour as a deflection for times when they feel too much.

Hence everyone is surprised when Jaddu does not retort with a joke but pulls Devika into an embrace.

"Mere jaise humesha mazaak karke apna dard chupati mat rehna. Kabhi kabhi man ki baat bol bhi dena."

"Tu bhi, Jad. Tu bhi."

"Haan. Aur sirf apne ghar jaa raha hoon main. I'm not dying okay? We'll keep annoying the hell out of everyone, humesha."

Upon hearing about death, Devi hits Jaddu's arm.

"What a way to cheer someone up, Jad."

Devi reaches Shanelle next. Taking her hands in hers she says,

"I wish I could have interacted with you outside the sphere of jealousy, Shanelle, but we'll stay in touch and do that in the future."

"I get it Devi. And yes we'll do that."

She moves to Faf.

"Faf, you beauty! Thank you for agreeing to do the dance of my sister's dream! I am sorry if you ever felt overwhelmed or bosser around by me."

"Devi.... comeon. No apologies today, only smiles, okay? You sister is my partner and that makes you my....."

"Mini partner!!!" Sai interrupts.

"You just wait, maccha. You're not getting anything for farewell but smacks from me." Devi warns him with her index finger.

"Poor Sai. But yes, you became my partner in dance. And it was my pleasure to be a part of your plan."

Devi sighs and looks towards the skies.

"I get it, God. You're rewarding me with angels now, for all the jerks I met in school and college."

Despite the emotional air, no one can help but laugh at that.

Devika ignores Sai. He whistles as he grabs her hand. She rolls her eyes in annoyance but her heart warms up because after all the time spent with Sai she had begun seeing him as the brother she would have loved to irritate.

"That's not fair, Devi. The one you should be booking as the chief guest to your and Raj's wedding, right now is the one you're walking away from?!"

"Yes. And gladly. Because I am not going to miss your stupid nonsensical jokes, exaggerated dance steps, weird laughter or babylike sulking at all."

The truth spilling from Devi's eyes hid the lie of the statement behind it. And that was enough for Sai Kishore to give her a hug.

"Aye, Devi. No one has seen Sai Kishore cry except Anmol. Don't make them see me teary eyed. They'll not be able to bear it okay. Take care of you and uncle and aunty. And never ever hesitate to reach out to me, okay?"

"O...k..ay"

Wiping her tears away, she faces MS Dhoni. No words are exchanged between them. But anyone who witnesses the latter patting her head in his gentle way will be able to tell how much Devika means to her Thala.

Squeezing his hand, she turns to Raj.

The yearning in his eyes wins over her and she wraps her arms around him, sniffing his familiar scent with each breath.

They stay in the embrace for a while. And the others exchange smiles.

Devi takes Raj's hand in hers and stealing a glance with Mahi she asks, "Ab aage kya, Mahi?"

Shaking his head fondly, while understanding her implication, Raj replies, "Aageee.... Mai tumse milne Chennai aaunga."

"Yayyyyy!" A tender smile appears on MS's face as the lines of Jab Tak start playing in his head. I can't wait to see Sakshi, he thinks.

And with a heavy heart she stands in front of his sister, unwilling to let her go.

All the words elude her and she decides that the best way to communicate is through embraces and kisses and repeated mutterings of I love yous.

Wiping Devi's tears with her hands Kritika says, "Don't be good Devi. Be you."

Devi laughs on hearing that.

"Ammmaaaa.... Now is a good time to give your gift if you don't want to see your daughters ugly crying."

Already ready with the gift, Sudha hands a t shirt to Kritika. The latter is thrilled to see an embroidered t shirt as a gift but when she reads the message beneath the flowers, she can't stop her tears,

Always with you.

They four of them form a separate huddle wiping each other's tears, assuring that they'll all be fine. Kritika's father pulls his son in law into the huddle. With voice thick with emotion he says,

"Take care of my daughter. Please." Seeing her father break down, Kritika rushes to give him a hug.

Noone knows how long the father- daughter duo stood there in that embrace that day.

But it was certain that this was one good thing no one wanted to see ending.