Promises

Glances are exchanged between the groom and the bride. Each a breathtaking sight to behold. Their eyes moisten upon sighting each other. Both have their hands squeezed by their mothers. Moments of tenderness and tough decisions run in front of their eyes. For a brief minute they wonder how they had managed to reach here despite everything but this question finds its answer in the face of their partners.

********

Devika Pillai

"Ab var aur vadhu phero ke liye khade ho jaye."

Akka gestures to me to bring the paper. I nod. It's here! I have been so excited to hear their vows. Both of them had written their own. I hand her the paper of promises and she begins,

"Ruturaj Dashrath Gaikwad, I promise to be your partner in this life's innings until one of us gets out. Even then, I promise to keep you close in my heart's cricket kit."

Raj, who is standing next to me, takes the opportunity to link his pinky with mine. And I do not shy away but welcome his touch.

He doubles down to whisper in my ears,
"If you'll have me, I'd like to be your partner too."

I turn my head to meet his eyes and mouth, "I'd love to have you." His face lights up.

"I know that there will be many matches where life's torrential downpour will interrupt our play and plans but I promise to be by your side through it all."

I take this opportunity to rise on my tiptoes and say in Raj's ears, "I would like to offer my disaster management services to you."

His loud chuckle startles Jaddu who's on his right and that makes me laugh.

"I would like that too." He says with a wink.

"You'll be away quite a lot of times. And I promise that no matter how much the distance bothers me, I will never go for a short run. I promise to give everything I have to our relationship."

On hearing that I softly say, "Me too." And Raj lets his pinky free to hold my hand in its entirety.

"You have many fans and in future you'll have many more and I promise to be one of them and cheer you up every time you doubt yourself."

"I know that there will be constant commentary on your life but I promise to only believe your version."

"Based on the demands of the situation, I promise to give you space and alternate between the roles of a spectator and participant in your life."

"Rutu, I love you with all my heart. I promise that on days when you get out early and are tired by the balls life throws at you, I will play a long innings. And know that, whether you lose a match or win, you'll always be number one batsman in my eyes. Sorry Thala."

Akka ends with a smile while tears roll down Rutu's eyes. He was certainly not expecting this. Well except the unexpected from the Pillai sisters.

All eyes turn to Rutu. He opens his folded paper and reads,

"Kritika Ajith Pillai, I promise to be your reception partner until the hotel of my life shuts down."

"I promise to be a keen, active and hard working team member in every situation."

"Even when there are challenges and tight budgets, I promise to never cut my love or leave it unemployed. It'll always show up for you."

"Whenever you require my assistance, I promise to give my hundred percent and be the best event manager and when you don't, I promise to take a step back and watch you thrive."

"My profession is going to cause you some inconveniences but I promise to show up with refreshments as soon as I can."

"I promise to provide you with the key to my mind, heart and soul through communication."

"Kriti, you have shown me what loving someone means. I promise to give you a permanent suite in my heart's room."

"Goodness Rutu!" Akka exclaims. I look at Raj with surprise.

"Yes, Devi, your brother in law is even more thoughtful than he shows."

"Seems like it." I say and walk towards them to tie Akka's saree with Rutu's Sherwani so that they can proceed with the pheras. I purposely take my time in tying the knot, framing this visual in my head.

"You both look so beautiful together. Humesha aise hi khush raho."

In sync, two hands rise to stroke my cheeks, one with the darkened Mehendi and red nail polish, and other with shining white Sherwani sleeves.

My eyes close to drink the feeling of affection from both the sides.

******

Rutu reaches to tie the mangalsutra in Akka's neck but the design on his Sherwani gets stuck with Akka's earring. Being the nearest to them, Jaddu helps them disentangle.

Physical disentanglement is still possible. But emotional? Emotionally they have been bound for forever.