Diwali, Dishes and Dedications

There were 47 individuals in the waada, most of them used to waking up at the ring of their alarm, but today, not a single alarm rang. Excitement and anticipation are the best alarm clocks. And they had done their work.

They woke up at different moments, yet managed to gather in the Aangan around the same time. Some after freshening up, others unwashed. Yet they let no distinction come in between exchanging greetings.

Diwali. Fondly and popularly recognised as the festival of lights had been successfully lighting diyas of warmth and belonging for many centuries now. Yet it never failed to do its job.

Hands are shaken first but the formality disappears with tight embraces that follow them. A ritual is observed, there are so many people to be wished. Everyone moves on from one to another. Sometimes easily, since they don't find anything apt to say to people who had seen fame.

There was a curtain divide, you could say. A thin curtain separating actual normalcy rom a different kind of normalcy. Some hesitated to cross that line. Some wondered how to do so. Until the to be bride's aunt commented, "I have spent lots of Diwalis in the company of different people, Jaddu but thanks to you, I'll now have a Diwali spent with a lovely Kathiawari horse."

It's funny how words can be a bridge between two worlds. Showing that no matter how different experiences we might have had, we all return to the same place at the end. Home. And once the guests believed that they were home, the curtain divide became window curtains that gave away a candid view into the intermixing of relationships.

*******

Devika was getting ready in her room. She had begged not to have any roommates. To her parents, Keeping her request had seemed a tough decision at first. They had worried that the Wada would not be enough to house all the guests. But who were they kidding? An Indian family knows its way around crises. Especially an Indian family that had women like Sudha Pillai to guide them.

While brushing her hair, Devi realizes that her Akka has a pair of golden jhumkas that would look better than the zari hoops that she was wearing. And that's precisely why she wanted to stay alone. After all, sooner or later, she had to adapt to the silence. The absence of compliments. The shower of warmth.

You have to learn to live without reaching out for Akka every minute, Devi. She tells herself.

Yes she had to learn. Her mind said.

But her heart, her heart knew that she was a fast learner. Leaping with joy while raising her yellow lehenga a little, Devi decides that some learnings are better postponed on occasions like these. After all, Diwali jo hai.

*******

Kitchen was off limits today. None of the women or men who had been cooking food for the past five days were allowed to enter it.

It was one of Jaddu's heartwarming ideas where he had suggested a flip of roles. Today, the regulars were on holiday while the ones who hadn't cooked anything were on duty.

Moreover, everyone had to make a dish and dedicate it to someone. And explain the why they had chosen the person at the dinner table. Jaddu was going to dedicate a dish to Kriti's mother.

To him it wasn't just a switch but a way to apologise for the umpteenth time to Sudha for all the stress he had caused her.

The new cooks had changed into regular clothes and started early. They knew that something or the other could go wrong and so did not want to take any risks.

Between the chatter and clatter, Devi spoke, "Guys, let's discuss briefly who all are we dedicating the dishes to. I think we should avoid overlaps. In that way we can make everyone's day."

When she saw everyone nod, she spoke with haste, "I'm dedicating my Rasam to Akka." Hearing that Rutu and Faf gave her a fond shake of heads. Of course. With this little sister, they didn't stand a chance.

"And I'm dedicating my Fried Rice to Kriti's mother. Sorry Rutu." Ruturaj lets out a chuckle as Jaddu starts chopping garlic. Of course. Two of the people he wanted to choose are no longer available.

"Before any of you take my precious people, I want to declare that I choose Appa." Devi nods in approval and says, "Smart move Rutu. Very smart move."

Nikhar chooses Anmol. The two of them had grown super close during their time together and Sai sighs. Suddenly Sai feels he has the best idea.

"I choose Raj." He says with a smirk. Devi looks at him confused. But then shrugs it off. Soon, everyone is done with who they're dedicating the dish to.

Knowing who will taste the fruits of their labour first, cooking becomes less hassled as compared to earlier. After all, the most important ingredient has been added to it - love.