25

"J-Jillian?"

You simply could not believe your eyes.

You're aware the youngest Robredo daughter has returned but it never occured to you even in your wildest imagination that you'll cross paths again, this time as colleagues. Crazy, just crazy.

"Good morning!" Jill chirpily greeted.

The both of you are just standing there, staring at each other. You're still in shock, and it seems that the other woman has already recovered.

Jill took the time studying you. You've changed. You look more mature, your hair a little longer than she remembers, your business style suits you so much. You have this air of dominance and confidence around you that she could never imagine you're capable of carrying. A far cry to the goofy, dorky, immature, idiotic Y/N she knew during the campaign. This is a whole 'nother side of you Jill has never witnessed before.

But one thing has for sure didn't change: you're still as pretty as the day she lost you.

You also couldn't tear your gaze away from Jill, not done checking if this is some sick illusion your mind conjured. How long has it been since you last saw Jillian? Two years? Wow. It seems that a lot has changed during those years. The promising young woman has flourished into a successful career woman, and it shows. You can't deny how proud you are of how far she's come.

You willed, begged that your brain goes back to functioning the way it's supposed to. You got a reputation to uphold after all. Though you won't lie, this very unlikely, unexpected encounter rattled you to the core. You cleared your throat.

"Good morning. Uhm, anyway, please... Sit down, Miss Robredo." You pointed to the empty seat.

Yes, addressing her as Miss Robredo. Because that's the protocol, that's basic professional etiquette.

You might be old friends but you're still at work right now. Any personal matters will be discussed at a later time.

Jill complies and didn't mind the sting of being coldly referred to as "Miss Robredo".

You managed to stop gawking at the younger woman across your desk and starts to attempt cleaning your desk. "Uh, sorry about the mess. Bagong lipat lang din kasi ako sa office na 'to kaya magulo pa talaga," you excused.

It's true you just got relocated to this room, hence the late name plate and empty shelves. But you've been using this area for more than a week by now. You're really just messy.

Jill never uttered a word again, won't speak unless spoken to, because that's how obedient subordinates behave.

The atmosphere is terribly awkward and both parties are fully aware. Both also can't wait to get away from this place as soon as possible.

"Uhm, okay," you paused to try and collect your bearings. You can't screw this up. You're Jillian's boss now and you never cared about appearances until this very moment. Which is insanely weird because this was someone you knew! Linking up with an old friend whom you shared tender and remarkable moments with should bring comfort, not whatever tension this is. Gosh, you already quit smoking but you badly need to light one now. Tangina, si Jillian lang 'to.

"It's been a hot minute, huh?" You started.

The younger woman only smiled in response.

"Okay, uh. I suppose my secretary already showed you around the building, 'no?" You asked, gearing back into your authoritative persona.

Jill nods while smiling. "Yes."

"Okay." You folded your arms on top of the desk so you won't shuffle or something. "Did he introduce you to the team already?"