“Jake, you don’t want me. I’m scum, I’ve slept with over a million guys.” He chuckles as it bellows out from underneath me. “No, literally.” His smile fades as I stand up, pick up my high heels and head back to the joint, Jake running after me, following. Somehow, I had a feeling there was more to this story, no one has ever cared about me this much.

I feel a pair of warm hands grab my arm. “That’s just it, Allie. Your no where near scum. If only you’d give yourself a chance, quit this job…”

“How do you expect me to just drop everything and quit?” I question incredulously. There was no way it could just happen.

“Drop this life and get involved with me.” His devious smile told me he’d used this line quite a bit, but I shrug it off and rip away from his tight grasp.

“I cant just drop it!” I explain through gritted teeth. Planning on heading back into the joint, it’s two in the morning so it’s closed. I kick the door and then wince in pain when I stub my toe on it. “Damn door…”

“I can take you home.” He grabs my hand and leads me to his car.

In the parking lot, rain pours down so it’s freezing. As soon as we’re in his shiny Volvo, he drives out and turns the heat on full blast. “Ew.” I click the radio button off, some sort of hardcore rock had been playing. We pull into a nearby gas station, and I take it he needs gas.

Going inside to pump it, he walks away. Once he does I pull on his jacket just to see if it would fit me, and it was overly large. I laugh to myself and remove the jacket, recognizing the blue, gold, and white theme; it was the exact same colors our school colors were. They matched exactly. Removing my thumb, I see the letters that stand for ‘Apple Orchard High School’ which had the same name as the elementary school I used to attend before I had to drop out from all of the teasing. Maybe I’d go back someday. Psh, yeah right, Allie.

When he returns to the car, I just gaze at him. That meant he went to my school in my district. Whoa, now we really cant be together, especially. Driving down the road, I must give him directions to the apartment building, which I might say I’m horrible at. After a few hours of trying to give him the correct roads and signs, we finally make it. Getting up out of the car, I head over to the driver’s side and point for him to roll down the window, it’s still raining. “Thanks, for the ride.” I whisper, kissing his cheek.

As soon as I go to pull away, he cups my face in his, our eyes very close to each other. My blue one’s were staring into his. He kisses my neck, and then crashes my lips against him, it felt weird. The only time I’d ever had a kiss when I wasn’t working for cash, was when I was kissing my little brother goodnight. We were still kissing throughout all this, and soon it was easy. Our lips were moving in sync with each other and we only pulled away to take a breath.

At the same time, we wipe our lips, and then laugh nervously.

Running to the apartment, the door’s locked. “Caleb! Open the door!” I yell, more rain seeping through my white tube top, giving the world full access to my chest area. “Hurry!” Little footsteps pad throughout the apartment, then I hear the lock click open, and run into the apartment, relieved when water isn’t pouring down on me.

The bruise on Caleb’s cheek hasn’t fully healed. A few days ago, his first grade teacher sent me a letter explaining that he had apparently run into a door and that she wasn’t buying it. P.S: She wasn’t stupid. I had crumpled up the note and told him to go shoot it at some birds or something. No more of that. “Sissy!” He runs toward me, begging for my attention.

“How was your day, and where’s Maria?” I ask, bouncing him up and down on my hip.

“She hasn’t come home yet.” I give him a confused look and then just shrug it off. She was probably getting some last minute customers in before she had to fully come home. Either that, or she met a one night stand. “Can I have some cookies and chocolate milk?” I nod my head.

Caleb squeals in excitement, his traditional blue overalls falling off of his shoulder because they were too big. My dad didn’t care what he wore, just as long as he wore something. We’d have to go shopping soon. I remove my soaking wet jean jacket from my arms, which was tricky because it was sticking to my shirt, and hung it on the coat rack beneath the heater so it can dry. Heading into the kitchen, Caleb’s struggling with pouring the milk, and it could spill all over soon.

Hurrying over to the counter, I help him with it, surrounding my hands over his tiny little palms. “You almost got it, it’s just harder when it’s all the way full.” I smile reassuringly, and ruffle his hair before capping the milk, screwing it on, and storing it back into the fridge. Caleb has run off into the living room with his late night snack and is now laughing over Spongebob. Thank god I came home when I did, I didn’t like the idea of him staying in this apartment alone.

Scanning over the fridge, Caleb has hung a painting he made in art which has an ‘A’ marked in the right hand corner in red ink pen. Smiling, I am proud of his work, sure he’s not all the way inside the lines, but it’s pretty good for a six year old. Then, there was a note and I immediately picked it up, recognizing Maria’s handwriting.

Dear Allie Cat,

I am going to stay with a Jonathan I met a few hours ago. He has offered me to spend the night with him, and I figured why not. I left some fudge from the joint in the fridge if you get hungry, and I’ll be home sometime tomorrow morning. (;

-Maria.

Ripping the note off the fridge, I fold it up neatly and shove it into a kitchen drawer. I hoped Caleb hadn’t read it, but then again he was just now learning how to read, which was a good thing. Settling myself on the sofa across from my brother, I towel dry my hair as best I can and smile at Caleb’s happy self, whose munching on a cookie and laughing at Patrick and Spongebob.

After I put him to bed, I pick up Caleb’s mess and vacuum up the cookie crumbs, sighing as I undo my short dark blue dress that reaches my thighs and up, stepping into the warm, much needed shower. Jake actually was really good at the whole love making thing, and I knew he was some sort of player. I closed my eyes and pictured him in my mind; blue eyes, toned build, spiky black hair. He was perfect in a way, but I guess everyone is.

Shutting off the warm water, I reluctantly step out and rub lotion all over my body, making my skin softer as I step into a white fancy nightgown I’d bought myself to maybe feel less trashy after a day at work. Brushing through my wet blonde hair, I blow dry it, throw it into a sloppy bun, and lay down in bed, thinking.

Tossing and turning from a nightmare, I am awakened by the ringing of my bedside table phone. I pick it up off of the receiver and answer it with a groggy ‘hello.’ “Yes, this is Allie.” Now this has me sitting up in bed, running a hand through my silky blonde hair that has fallen out of the bun during my slumber.

Glancing at the clock, it’s 3:54. Ugh, I groan and keep listening to her conversation. “Yes, wtell your friend, Maria. I’m afraid we have some bad news. We have found her on the side of the road. Her neck’s broken in a grotesque form, one of her high heels are broken, and her hair has been cut off.” Oh my god, her long black curly hair is gone, and she’s hurt. “We’re afraid she’s dead.” I drop the phone with a smack on the carpet and rock back and forth, sobbing.

As prostitutes, we did take that risk, but Maria was a good girl, she didn’t deserve this. Prostitutes were known to get murdered quite often. That’s why you had to be careful on whose car you got into. She obviously chose the wrong one.

I’d make sure I never would.

_____________________________________

Hey everyone, i really enjoy writing this story. It's fun. I know these chapters might be depressing, but after this one, we're going to learn more about Jake, I might even do a point of view for him once just to see if you guys like it, but i dont know. anyways, vote comment? thanks. (: