Missing Something

Latte dodged Ruggie's cosmic spell and casted one of his own, almost knocking the other boy down

Latte dodged Ruggie's cosmic spell and casted one of his own, almost knocking the other boy down. He had the disc in his possession and was close to the goal. Picking up the pace, Latte continued to avoid Ruggie's brutal attempts to stop him until—

He tripped on a vine.

Heat rises to his cheeks as the sound of Jamil and Ruggie's laughter fill his ears. He dusted the dirt off himself and glared at them.

"Isn't that against the rules or something?"

Jamil shook his head. "Preventing the other team from winning is the point of the game."

Latte tugged his hair from frustration. "Arghh! Come on!"

It was four to six and they've been playing for over an hour and honestly, it was actually really fun. He didn't really expect it to be but after watching those videos and training with his friends, Latte finally realised why people play sports.

He was even able to block Ruggie a couple times by creating giant walls of ice. Which honestly surprised him the first time since Latte never thought that he'd been capable of doing so.

They only had the weekend left for training before he was supposed to show Alaric what he was capable of and Latte was feeling...not confident but overall content with his improvement. Now he was able to earn points when in the first three days he was only able to score either zero or one point.

The sound of footsteps made the teens turn around to see Leona. The older student was always with them when Latte was training but he never really said anything, just watched them.

"You've improved." He said.

Latte felt proud hearing that. "Yeah...uhm, it's thanks to what you told me back then."

Leona raised a brow.

"When you told me that I lacked technique."

"Oh right." He crossed his arms while closing his eyes. "I completely forgot about that."

"Huh—" the disc almost hit his face by an inch. Latte turned to see Ruggie whistling innocently while Jamil was giving him a rather judgemental look. "Ruggie you asshole! I wasn't ready!"

He took the disc and created semi large flowers that he could step on. Noticing that Ruggie now had a broom, Latte picked up the pace as he used the flowers to bring him towards the goal as Ruggie tried shooting fire at the stems.

This was nice and maybe a bit weird too. This was probably the first time in a long time since he got to have fun like this. He couldn't even remember since the last time he laughed this much.

The training session ended with a six to nine with Ruggie in the lead. Latte complained that Ruggie kept using unfair tactics to earn his points which fell to deaf ears because Leona said that 'playing rough' was not against the rules. Even Jamil was a bit annoyed at how many times Ruggie tried to aim at Latte specifically and not at the disc.