Chapter 2

I watched my brother leave with his friends for the parade, bickering and playfully shoving each other. I envied how he wasn't having any trouble blending in despite moving during his last year of school. He knew how to make friends faster than I did. All I knew was to tuck and hide away behind my over sized sweaters and headphones. 

"Are you sure you don't want to go?" Mom asked me, while I was helping her get into her dress. She and Dad were heading for a party in the town hall.

I shook my head, "I'm tired Mom."

I had a long day of walking around the neighborhood searching for a cat.

After some failed attempts at convincing me to go to the parade, my parents agreed to leave me at home under one condition.

"Keep the windows and doors locked," Dad ordered. "No inviting warlocks or werewolves over, Okay?" He added wryly.

I chuckled for his sake, "I won't, Dad." I told him before I watched them drive away.

I had no intention of going out or inviting anyone over anyway.

For the next couple of hours, I tried to sleep but I happened to sit up straight every time I heard the slightest noise outside. Hoping to find Shadow, scratching at my window.

Nothing but the sky and its pearl of a moon outside.

The first time I met Shadow, he had shown up at my window, shriveled and wet trying to find shelter from the rain. I remember seeing his little violet eyes and being enamored. My parents let me take him in and he was soon a part of the family.

He'd follow me everywhere I go, Like my own shadow. Hence his name.

He would nuzzle against me as I read on my bed, listened to me sing, as I practiced on my piano. I fancied myself to think it always calmed him to hear me sing as much as it calmed me to feel his soft fur under my hands, his soft purrs, and steady breathing as he's bundled up in my arms.

He had never been away from home for too long before. It's hard to believe he'd just leave me like I was a stranger. He wouldn't have.

I could hear the sound of the parade. Blaring music reached my room. The howling and the chanting of the crowds and the crackling of the fireworks.

The noises muffled eventually.

I shifted on my bed, to face my window. The full moon glimmered angelically this cloudless bewitching night. It's light dancing over my face, taunting me.

Succumbed, I gave in.

I climbed out of my window to sit on the roof. My feet resting on the rain gutter, stilling me from falling off.

The quiet neighborhood was dimly lit with Jack-o-lanterns adorning front yards in a pretty orange glow.

There was no one around, everyone probably went to the parade, the party in the town hall or maybe they were sleeping, along with their kids who are tired after a long night of trick or treating.

The moon had simply called out to me to bask in the glow of the quiet neighborhood.

I laid on my back on the roof, looking up at the moonlit sky. It was strange not to see any stars. Perhaps tonight the full moon outshone them.

I'd always come up here when I couldn't fall asleep, and I'd watch the stars with shadow in my lap. It was me and shadow against the night. No other cat could replace him.

He was mine and mine to me.

On the spur of the moment, I caught something moving from the corner of my eye.

A shadow flickered past me. I stilled, knowing panicking will only make me trip over to the edge of the roof and fall off.

Just when I thought of climbing back into my room, I heard a meow.

"Shadow!" I cried out in glee.

He walked along the roof towards me with his pretty violet eyes gleaming.

He came back! Shadow found me. I couldn't believe it. I felt my own smile reach my ears.

I carefully sat up straight and took him in my arms, his fur dirtied with mud. He meowed in surprise.

"Where have you been? " I cooed, "I've been worried sick!"

Shadow purred against my touch. I placed him on my lap and watched him nuzzle against me. I checked him for any bruises. He was fine with only splayed dried mud on his coat of fur.

"Let's get you some warm milk mister." I said, stroking his fur gently, "And a bath too. You smell like rain." I was certain Shadow rolled in a pool of mud on his way home. He shuffled at the mention of a bath, I knew he absolutely despised it.

I pulled him close.

"I'm glad you came back, Shadow," I whispered against his fur. Shadow meowed in response, his violet eyes glimmering at me in a magical light, I smiled to myself, " I love you too," I said softly, placing a kiss on his furry little head.

Shadow stretched and huddled in my arms under the night sky. Just like old times. He relaxed under my touch, as I kept stroking his jet black fur, as if he were exhausted.

He found his home. I don't know where he had been or how long he was wandering.

"Sleep well, Shadow," I assured, softly. "You're home."

We stayed like that for a moment. I hummed a tune as I gently caressed his coat of fur. The moonlight glistened with bits of silver.

Shadow suddenly squirmed awake. The black of his pupils narrowing in a wild daze with his whiskers taut.

He started breathing heavily, I could feel his chest heaving under my arms. "What's wrong, Shadow?"

I held him up in concern. Shadow hissed menacingly, wriggling in my grip. His hair stricken like he was just electrocuted

"Hey- easy there- OUCH!" He scuffed at my neck. "SHADOW!" I winced in pain, my hand going over the fresh claw marks on the side of my neck. What's gotten into him? Shadow broke free and scampered into my room, yowling in agony.

I climbed into my room, following Shadow's yowling. He was hiding in the shadows as I crept close. "Shadow?" My voice wavered. It was a mixture of concern and fear. Shadow's yowling grew menacingly louder.

A violet flame burst in my room, throwing me off to the side. My back slammed hard against the wall. My eyes winced shut, my hands wrapped defensively around me. I felt the warmth and the force of the flame but it did not burn.

I shuddered to comprehend what unfolded in front of my eyes. The violet flames snuffed out around a dark figure. It was not my cat.

It was bigger than a cat.

My breaths came out in pants. I was too stunned to move. I saw the figure shift and a hand reached out from the shadows. A human hand

I screamed.

I screamed as loud as I can, till my throat tasted of copper. I did not dare to move. I couldn't. I was frozen. My heart beat was erratic as I saw his dark figure inch closer and to the moonlight that splayed across the floor.

Then I saw him.