~| Day 25: Them |~

Series: Rainbow Quest

AU: Doubled Crystal (Remember this from 'Explosion'? Well, now I get to explain it! (Also this isn't including the Tethered Souls AU, that was just a crossover I wanted to do). Basically, Sabre and Orange Steve both were created from the Orange Crystal at the same time, making them twin brothers. They grow up together, from their earliest years in the village, to moving into the woods away from it, to meeting Red and many more events in the timeline, making their bond even closer)

Context: Soon after they were created from the Crystal, everyone had already bombarded the Leader with questions about Sabre and Rainbow, and how they got there and such. The Orange Leader is trying to figure out what to do with them.

—————————————————————————————————————

[Orange Leader's POV]

The two children are now inside my house rather than in the village, looking curiously at everything around them like toddlers.

How could this have even happened...? We do represent creativity and all, and the Crystal is very powerful, but I had no idea it could do such a thing as creating people. Did this happen on its own, or did something happen to the Crystal that made it create these two? I think... I think one is supposed to be an Orange Steve, but I don't have the slightest idea on what the other is. That blindfold he has is also peculiar...

I watch as the children start to play with the puppy I had gotten recently, that I had named Cleo. They both got excited when they saw her, just like any child. It seems they mostly act like normal kids... although they act almost entirely the same. As if they're mimicking each other before they even move.

Hm... often with the cases of creation like this, Steves already have names drilled into their minds like a pre-made memory. Maybe this is the case with them too?

I get up from my chair and walk over to the children. They look up at me as I kneel down to their level.

"Hey you two, I just wanted to ask, do you have names?" I say.

Both of them smile and answer.

"Crystal!" The one most similar to a Steve says.

"Sabre!" The mystery one says.

Should've guessed, really... such strange names for strange children.

"Well Crystal, Sabre, do you remember anything before I found you in the cave?" I ask.

They both think for a moment, then shake their heads.

"Do you know where we're from?" Sabre asks.

They... They don't know they were created from the Orange Crystal? I mean, they are both children...

They'll probably get to know the story of the Crystal soon, so it's better for them not to worry about such a thing in the future.

"Not entirely." I reply. "That's why I was hoping you would know."

"Okay then!" Crystal says, and he and Sabre turn back to playing with Cleo.

Are they taking turns speaking? That's odd... but there's no doubt they're twins I guess, even though Sabre is... not exactly the same as we are.

I keep watching over them as they play. I soon notice that not once do they let go of each other's hands, and if one of them does need that hand they just switch what hands they're holding. They hang onto one another as if they're about to lose each other...

Ah, that's right. I need to talk to someone real quick. Or rather... two people.

I walk over to the door quietly and go outside, and just as he always is Shy is sitting on my front porch. He looks up at me, although he looks a bit nervous.

"Shy, may I talk to you for a second?" I ask, sitting down next to him.

"...A-Am I in t-trouble?" Shy says.

"Oh, no, of course not." I reply. "I just need to ask a favor of you."

"What is i-it?" Shy says, looking a little less tense.

"Remember how we found those two in the cave with the Crystal?" I say.

Shy nods his head.

"Well, I need you to never tell anyone about that, okay?" I say. "It's a secret between us both."

"W-Why?" Shy asks.

"Well, you know the story of the Crystal. If people know they were created from it, the village would freak out and others from other kingdoms might try to hurt them." I explain. "So to keep the peace and protect them, you need to not tell a soul about how they were created. Alright?"

"A-Alright." Shy replies with a small smile.

"Thank you. Now you should get home, it's starting to get late." I say.

"O-Okay!" Shy says, and he gets up and disappears into the village.

I stand up and go back inside. I go to check on Sabre and Crystal, but instead of playing I see they had fallen asleep while I was out talking with Shy. They're leaned against the nearby bookshelf, still holding each other's hands.

I smile and pick the two up, setting them on the couch in the living room so they'll be more comfortable. I then take a blanket that was draped over the couch's arm and lay it over the twins. They shift in their sleep for a moment before returning to still silence.

I remember the other person I needed to talk to, and go out the back door of my house. I walk to the edge of the forest near the village, far enough to where the lightning won't startle anyone. Then, I teleport.

—————————————————————————————————————

[Red Steve's POV]

I was just about to end the day before I heard a knock at the door. Curious, I don't really get many visitors.

I set my book into the bookshelf and walk over to the door. To my surprise, when I open it the Orange Leader is there. He looks distressed about something.

"Orange Leader? Been a while since you've visited." I say, letting him in.

"I know, I know, and I'm sorry about that." The Orange Leader says.

"It's alright, your job is a demanding one. What do you need?" I ask.

"Something happened today and I need your help." The Orange Leader replies, glancing nervously.

"Oh, did something bad happen?" I say, worried.

"No- Uhm- Not exactly? I don't really know."

"Well, what happened then?" I say as I turn back to my bookshelf to pick another book. He takes a while to explain things often and reading as he talks helps me focus.

"By chance, has there ever been any history on..." The Orange Leader continues. "A Chromatic Crystal suddenly creating people?"

I quickly turn back around, shocked.

"PARDON?" I say.

"I can explain... sort of."