~| Day 4: Orange |~

Series: Rainbow Quest

AU: Tethered Souls AU (Sabre and Rainbow are two souls bound to each other, always being reborn in a new world/timeline of RQ once they both die in one. They always remember previous worlds/timelines, and have stayed friends through everything)

Context: After Sabre resets another timeline, he goes on to an abyss, where he always meets his best friend before they move on to the next world.

—————————————————————————————————————

[Sabre's POV]

Alright... another timeline reset. Finally, I can go to my favorite part of this.

I walk through a portal into a white abyss, and I notice my appearance shift, just like every time. My normal look has become ethereal, almost. The colors I have are more pastel, and small white dots that resemble stars cover all around me.

I keep walking, waiting for him to appear in the distance. For a while, the only thing filling this blank void is the sound of my footsteps, as I wait with anticipation for his familiar face to emerge from the glow. I hear a quiet giggle echo in the air, and start to run. A form starts to appear from the blinding light.

And then... he's there. Finally standing in front of me again.

He's holding an orange tulip, and more are nestled in his hair, his appearance having shifted as well. He looks iridescent, almost contrasting the abyss with his own glow. The prismatic shifts in color on him are more blended, glittering dots seem to move within the fabric of his clothes. His bright orange eyes stare back at me as we both smile at each other.

Then, we quickly run to each other, and I'm wrapped in the familiar hug I've waited so long to feel again.

"Glad to see you again, Sabre." Rainbow says as we both cry tears of joy.

"Glad to see you too, Rainbow." I reply. "I missed you."

Rainbow and I step back a bit, but still clasp hands, as we share ecstatic grins.

"I missed you too." Rainbow says. "I'm sorry you had to wait so long... I wish this timeline let me live longer so you weren't alone for so many years."

"Hey, it's alright buddy. We can't control what happens." I say. "Living for that long in this timeline wasn't so bad... I had everyone else with me."

I had been living for centuries in that last timeline, for some reason the reset having been delayed for many years. I went through a lot of change then. Watched all of my friends grow older... watched them pass in peace... made new friends... and that cycle repeated a few times.

What finally let the reset event happen was what was blocking Origin from stepping in disappearing, and I was finally let go from that timeline once the First Enemy from the new beginning struck me with an artifact. I don't mind it now, the death wasn't too painful; now we get to start anew again.

"I miss them already..." Rainbow sighs. "They were nice."

"I do too, but we'll see them again, remember?" I say. "Even if they don't know it's us at first."

We both then stare out into the horizon of the abyss, seeing a glow brighter than the one around us. Rainbow looks at me as we turn to face it, still clinging his hand to mine.

"Are you ready to go?" He asks.

"I've been ready for a while, Rainbow." I chuckle. "Let's go."

We begin to walk towards the new light, feeling the warmth of a new timeline's sun emanate from it.

"How do you think we'll begin this timeline?" Rainbow wonders. "Maybe our species will be swapped again, or I'll start as a different Chromatic color, or maybe it'll be one where you're better accepted."

"In any case, I just hope I won't have to search for you for very long." I say. "I want to hop right back into adventuring with you again. Maybe we'll be treasure hunters, or something. Maybe pirates."

"Heh, me too Sabre, me too." Rainbow smiles.

We stop just in front of the light, catching a glimpse of the new world. It looks beautiful, and ready for all of our adventures to begin again.

"Don't do such dumb stuff like you did in the last one, okay?" Rainbow says.

"And you don't get yourself sick so often like you did, either." I reply.

"Well, excuse you if I like my pufferfish." Rainbow laughs. "Also, you're the one that went accidental cliff-diving."

"Oh, you shush." I laugh as well.

We smile as we walk through the light, it engulfing us as we're given new bodies. I feel our grips on each other disappear, letting me know that we're almost there. I'm soon blinded by the light around me.

As soon as I hit the grassy ground, freshly spawned in the new timeline, I get right to looking for whatever will lead me back to Rainbow. Will it be a tomb again? A portal? Who knows?

I just want to be adventuring with my best friend again.