Chapter 27

THIS IS THE LAST CHAPPY

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

________________

Nutwhisker's POV:

Nutwhisker watched as Silverstar slept in her nest.

Her breathing seemed quicker and heavier than usual. Nutwhisker edged closer, careful not to wake the silver she cat. He lowered his head and pricked his ears. He could even hear the faint but rapid beating of her heart as she wheezed in her sleep.

Despite losing a life, Silverstar still hadn't been able to shake the greencough from her.

Nutwhisker was worried Silverstar might lose another life. If her breathing didn't get under control soon, he would have to give her some thyme to calm her down. But by giving her the thyme, Nutwhisker wouldn't be able to give her any other herbs until the thyme wore off. That meant she would have to go at least half a day without catmint or anything else that would help her.

In his sleep, Stormflame let out a petrified moan and his tail lashed wildly, hitting Nutwhisker in the face multiple times.

Nutwhisker was also worried that if Starclan could no longer contact Lightclan, the cats would be vulnerable to nightmares from the Dark Forest.

"And don't even get me started on Watersplash..." Nutwhisker whispered to himself.

The two medicine cats had kept their distance from each other, barely talking unless absolutely necessary. Shinepaw didn't seem to mind but Nutwhisker could see the constant stress shining in the young she cat's eyes.

"Nut.. Nutwhisk..." A small mew came from Wildkit and Nutwhisker shuffled over to the ill kit. He was surprised she even had the strength to talk. Everything she ate, she threw up. All that was left of her was skin and bones.

"What is it Wildkit?" Nutwhisker meowed as he examined her little body for anything out of the ordinary.

Wildkit whimpered and reached her paws out, her tiny claws gripped onto Nutwhisker's chest fur and pulled him closer.

Nutwhisker let the she kit pull him close and he settled onto his side to allow her to cuddle against his chest. To Nutwhisker's surprise, the little kit began purring and kneaded her paws in Nutwhisker's chest fur. A quiet purr rose from Nutwhisker and in response he licked Wildkit on her head. She reached up and nuzzled his chin.

"Nutwhisker..." she wheezed softly.

"Yes?"

"I'm going to die aren't I?"

Nutwhisker froze. He hadn't realised Wildkit was aware of that much. She was so young and she was pretty much accepting her death.

Nutwhisker struggled to find his words. "Uh.. I guess- I mean.. I-I don't know. You might pull through.."

Wildkit was still purring as she snuggled closer against Nutwhisker. "It's okay. I'm not upset. I know it's my time."

Nutwhisker stayed silent and he lowered his head, resting his cheek against the tiny she kit. "This is never the way a kit should go."

"When I die... Where will I go?" Wildkit whispered as she nuzzled Nutwhisker again.

"To Starclan." Nutwhisker meowed quietly.

"Is Starclan up in the stars?"

"Yes. Starclan lives up in the stars. It is made up of all of our ancestors. The cats who have died here go up there and live happily for eternity." Nutwhisker explained.