Chapter 8

Clearlight's POV:

Shadedmoon rushed into camp and Clearlight approached her, "What's wrong?" He asked as he studied her frightened expression.

"I need to tell Silverstar something!" Shadedmoon gasped as she tried to catch her breath. She dropped her rabbit on the ground and Clearlight leaned down to pick it up.

"Silverstar is out." Clearlight mumbled between the rabbit. "And Stormflame is sick. So you either have to wait or you can tell me?"

Shadedmoon shook her head, "No.. I'll wait for Silverstar." Then she pricked her ears, "Oh I know! I'll go to Nutwhisker!"

"Nutwhisker is out too." Clearlight meowed as he dropped her catch on the fresh kill pile. "Nice catch by the way." He praised.

Shadedmoon ignored his praise and meowed, "Then I'll go find them!" She raced out of camp before Clearlight could answer her.

Clearlight sighed. He decided to follow Shadedmoon to make sure she didn't get hurt. Actually, that's what he kept telling himself he was doing but the truth was he was just going to find her to eavesdrop on her urgent conversation with Silverstar. He was a senior warrior, and temporary deputy. He had a right to know.

"Is that rabbit yours Clearlight?" A voice asked from behind him and Clearlight spun around to face Blazemoon. The flame coloured she cat blinked her blazing yellow eyes questioningly.

"Uh.. No it's Shadedmoon's." Clearlight meowed softly. "Don't eat it all for yourself, share it among the other warriors." He ordered with a small smile.

"Of course, I was just wondering how a cat could find something as big as a rabbit right now. It seems the entire forest is empty!" Blazemoon shook her head stiffly before picking up the rabbit and carried it into the warriors den.

Clearlight turned away and lowered his nose to the ground. He sniffed deeply and began following Shadedmoon's scent trail into the forest.

It wasn't long before he heard their voices. What was weird that coughing was coming from one of them. Clearlight prayed to Starclan it wasn't Shadedmoon because he touched the rabbit she had carried.

As he hid behind the bushes and peered through to get a closer look, he suddenly had an idea. He used his powers to change forms into a mouse. It was odd being a mouse, but he found it a lot easier to blend into the bush and get closer without being noticed.

Clearlight stared up at Shadedmoon and Silverstar to see it was Silverstar who was coughing. She was crouched on the ground, her body trembling as coughs shook her. Shadedmoon meowed soothing words to her leader but didn't touch her. It was obvious Silverstar had come down with Whitecough.

When Silverstar stopped coughing, Shadedmoon began talking. "Starclan came to me in a dream. They said my former clan is in trouble and I need to leave immediately. I must save Frostclan. Please let me go to them."

Silverstar's green eyes blinked a few times before she gave a slight nod. "Very well, Shadedmoon. You may return to your clan. Would you like me to announce this to the clan?"

"No, I need to go now." Shadedmoon meowed guiltily.

"That's perfectly fine, I understand how important it is to save your own clan." Silverstar dipped her head respectfully to Shadedmoon, "Lightclan thanks you, Shadedmoon, for all of your help and loyalty these past few moons and I wish you save travels."

"If I return to my clan I will probably become leader again." Shadedmoon smiled softly at Silverstar. "I will use what you have taught me these past moons to make myself a better leader to my clan."