Chapter 21

Nutwhisker's POV:

"I can't believe that all they care about is Magiclan!" Nutwhisker snarled, "Magiclan is just a bordering clan who have always been like this. But Starclan? Starclan has never abandoned us like this before." He lashed his tail as he rambled on in front of Watersplash and Shinepaw.

Watersplash rose to her paws and approached Nutwhisker. She placed a small lick on his shoulder, "It's okay. They don't understand how important this is to us. They are warriors not medicine cats."

Nutwhisker refused to acknowledge the soothing tingles that ran along him from Watersplash's lick. "But Starclan is what we believe in! Without faith in Starclan, we are nothing. Starclan is what keeps the clans together in peace." Nutwhisker argued and flattened his ears.

Watersplash sighed, "I understand how you feel and I am not saying that this is not a terrible problem- it is- But we cannot do anything more about it. Starclan has blocked us from them and that is that. We have no power over them or their actions."

"That's not true. I called Lightstar myself, maybe I can do it again." Nutwhisker fought the urge to agree with the grey she cat.

"I don't think so, Nutwhisker. And I know you agree with me. I can see it in the way your eyes glint." Watersplash grinned softly and Nutwhisker before turning away, her tail waving in his face along the way.

Nutwhisker rolled his eyes and took a deep breath to calm his nerves. Watersplash's savoury scent reached his nose and despite the scent being quite unpleasant to most cats, Nutwhisker found it soothed him. It sent waves of calmness washing through him, rippling under his skin. A small sigh of relief escaped his lips.

It was then that Nutwhisker realised his eyes had closed and when he popped them open, he saw Watersplash eyeing him with a smirk. She stayed silent. Nutwhisker looked away with a shy shuffle of his paws. Watersplash saw how her scent affected him so much.

Nutwhisker lashed his tail and raised his head to face Watersplash. "I'm going to collect some herbs. Are there anything herbs that we need?"

Watersplash glanced at the herb stock before looking back at Nutwhisker, "Some catmint would be extremely helpful."

"Well you know that I can't get that." Nutwhisker growled bluntly.

Shinepaw leapt up, "I know! I know!" The apprentice's eyes shone brightly as she spoke to Nutwhisker. "Why don't we go to Monsterclan and ask for herbs? I'm sure they'll help!"

Nutwhisker shook his head, "No way. Less than a few moons ago, Monsterclan joined Magiclan in the attack on us. There is no way I am going into the heart of their territory and ask for herbs. That would show that we are weak and then they would attack!" His meow rose higher until he yowled the last bit, making Shinepaw shrink behind Watersplash.

Watersplash hissed, "Don't talk like that to her! Shinepaw is your apprentice!"

Nutwhisker growled, "She shouldn't be making mouse-brained ideas!"

"How would she know if it was a bad idea? Shinepaw wasn't even in the battle. She was still a kit for Starclan's sake!" Watersplash snarled. "And if you haven't already forgotten, medicine cats are allowed to ask others for help! Stop thinking like a warrior and more like a medicine cat!"

"Stop telling me what to do!" Nutwhisker unsheathed his claws and lashed his brown furred tail.

Watersplash stayed sitting but bared her teeth aggressively at Nutwhisker, "Stop being so immature and fox-hearted! I am older and wiser than you, therefore you should listen to me!"