Chapter 1

Stormflame's POV:

Stormflame pelted across the forest floor, his long black tail streaming behind him and icy blue eyes narrowed in concentration. Bumblestrike dashed beside him as they gave chase on the squirrel. Clearlight burst from the bushes further along to try and catch the squirrel but he was too slow and he skidded to a hault right in front of Stormflame and Bumblestrike. The Lightclan deputy let out a shocked yowl and nimbly dodged the large senior warrior but Bumblestrike wasn't as small or nimble as Stormflame and crashed straight into Clearlight. The two grey toms fell to the ground in a tangle of tails and legs.

The young black tom made a sharp turn and trotted back to Clearlight and Bumblestrike. They had managed to untangle themselves and Bumblestrike was already on his paws but Clearlight seemed to be having more trouble. The grey tom winced as he finally found his footing and rised to his paws.

"Clearlight, are you okay? You didn't twist a paw or anything right?" Stormflame asked the senior warrior and carefully leaned forwards to sniff at the grey tom's paws but instead he got a mouthful of thick grey fur as Clearlight shoved the deputy away irritably.

"I'm fine!" He snapped and started walking away. A small limp was noticeable but Stormflame didn't want to upset the old warrior anymore so he left the subject and padded beside Bumblestrike after Clearlight.

Bumblestrike leaned in and muttered in Stormflame's ear, "Grumpy as an elder, that cat. I think it's time he joined Slowsky and Bigstep." The grey tabby tom grunted, "He's ruining too many hunts."

"If you're talking about me, stop it now." Clearlight's voice came out calm and cold. Stormflame didn't answer Bumblestrike in fear of annoying the old tom and trotted further ahead.

Clearlight's behavior was really depressing. Ever since the battle with Magiclan, the old grey tom had been snapping more than usual. He nearly attacked Stormflame one time when he tried to ask him what prey he would like. Actually, Clearlight had been more rude to Stormflame than any other cat in the clan. Why? Why him? They used to be such close friends, especially after the Battle of the Elements in the leaf-bare hunting grounds.

Perhaps he is jealous. Stormflame's guardian's voice sounded in his head. It surprised Stormflame; Skystar hadn't said anything to him since the day of the battle, when she had to stop him from killing all of Magiclan's kits, queens and elders out of rage from being captured by them.

What is he jealous of? Stormflame asked Skystar and quickly dodged a tree he was about to walk into.

Of you and Silverstar... He misses his mate... He misses me. His kits... Her voice lowered to a gloomy whisper inside Stormflame's head.

"Oh..." Stormflame whispered softly and lowered his head guiltily even though Skystar couldn't see him. "Sorry.."

"Are you talking to yourself now, Stormflame?" Clearlight hissed from in front of Stormflame. The grey tom had stopped walking and he now stood facing Stormflame with his tail flicking irritably.

Stormflame raised his head a little and frowned, "No. I was just lost in thought." His whiskers twitched uncomfortably as he trotted past Clearlight, "Come on, let's get back to camp. It's getting late."

"But we haven't caught anything yet." Bumblestrike complained, "Silverstar won't be pleased."

"I'm sure I can get her to go easy on us." Stormflame responded and continued to trot ahead.

He heard Clearlight grumble, "Yep, because Silverstar is so soft around you, just because you're mates."

"And I'm also deputy." Stormflame retorted without turning to face the fiercely grumpy tom. "Now, let's go! I want to get back to camp sometime this moon!"