Chapter 13: "Naive Buffoon"

ADA

I SUCKED IN a sharp breath and adjusted my shirt, which had slipped down to reveal the tattoo. I laughed awkwardly. "Mark? What mark? Mark the maintenance guy?"

Carter shot me a flat look. "Don't insult my intelligence."

"Aw but you make it too easy."

"Shut up Wilson. Why do you have that butterfly?"

I sighed and tucked my knees under my chin, staring dolefully through the windscreen. "I don't suppose you'd believe me if I said it was a coincidence?"

"Do I look that stupid?"

I paused. "Are you looking for an honest answer?"

"Oh for– Wilson! You are so annoying and– wait. You're changing the topic again."

"Did I succeed?" I asked, with a sliver of hope dripping through my tone.

"No."

"Okay." I dragged out the word and bit the inside of my cheek, frantically calculating the possibility of me leaving the conversation with my secrets intact.

The chances nosedived into the negatives, with tiny Ada cells running out in my head screaming 'ABORT MISSION! ABORT MISSION!'

"It's a long way back to England," Carter sang. "I can wait you out, Wilson."

"How about a trade?" I offered. "I give you one secret, and you give me one in return."

I could see the rusty cogs in Carter's slowly judder to life, turning as he thought the idea over. Finally, he shrugged and grinned, blue eyes lighting mischievously. "Fine, I agree!"

The Ada cells whooped and high-fived, but the trepidation remained. I can't tell him too much- no, that's just a one way ticket to the cellars.

"So." I stretched, sighing in relief as my muscles crackled and popped. "I suppose you want to know about the tattoo. Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't waste one question on that."

"Nice try," Carter scoffed. "Now tell me. How did you get that tattoo?"

Oh you naive buffoon. You're gonna wish you'd listened to me.

"I did a favour for the right person and they took me to a parlour, someone came out with a needle and–"

"Wait, no, don't tell me how you got it."

"But that was your question." I said with a shrug, stifling a laugh as his expression changed from perplexed to annoyed. "I am merely answering your question, Carter."

"What was the favour?"

"No," I shook my head, "it's your turn now. A secret for a secret. What's one incident in your life you're really ashamed about?"

"Okay..." Carter hummed and drummed his fingers against the wheel. "Well, when I was in my second year at the Academy–"

"Wait." I held up a finger. "What exactly is this Academy?"

The brakes screeched.

A horn blasted- a van narrowly swerved–

Someone screamed and cursed our way–

I saw my life flash before my eyes as the car pulled over harshly. I gripped whatever I could, realising that the crappy car had no airbags.

I let out a yelp as the car teetered precariously on the side of the road.

"Carter! What the fuck?" I scream in his ear, my heart beating as fast as a galloping horse on steroids.

"You don't- you don't know what the Academy is?" he whispered, his expression shockingly similar to that of a teenager who found out his best friend didn't know their favourite band.