vii. Twenty One.

vii. Twenty One.

   As Yi-Jin walked her home that evening, Hye-Jin had not anticipated that this would be the moment she would replay in her mind like a movie for months

   As Yi-Jin walked her home that evening, Hye-Jin had not anticipated that this would be the moment she would replay in her mind like a movie for months. This memory would be the last one she would have of Baek Yi-Jin for a while, due to unknown reasons, which she wouldn't find out until it was far too late. But in that moment, they were just twenty-one and twenty-two—two beautiful young souls, who shared their ambitions and hopes for the future with each other, both of them being on a road to self-discovery. In that moment, nothing else had mattered. Their different circumstances weren't that important for once, all that mattered were these moments the two friends shared; choosing to be happy together, just like they had once promised each other. Longing looks and warm smiles were shared between them, before they had arrived in front of Hye-Jin's door. And even then, Hye-Jin did not want the evening to end—the disappointment settling in that their meaningful time together was coming to an end, for now.

"Good night," Yi-Jin told her sincerely, "Have a safe trip tomorrow. Don't forget to wish Hee-Do good luck for me."

Hye-Jin nodded, "Of course, I couldn't forget about that. I'll let her know that you're supporting her from afar."

"I hope you remember what I told you earlier," Yi-Jin said.

"What part of it specifically? You've said a lot." Hye-Jin teased, a grin on her face as she recalled his sweet words.

"Whichever struck you the most," Yi-Jin answered softly.

Hearing him tell her that she gave him hope and made him want to be greedy definitely left an impact on her—it took her breath away. He has made her heart flutter before in the past, but for the first time it felt like he was serious as she found his eyes were still on her. She stood before him in shock, when the green lighting no longer shined on them. Her heart was racing and somehow she still managed to sound calm and collected while she asked her follow-up question, "What part of me makes you feel like that?"

Yi-Jin smiled softly, deciding to answer her question sincerely, "I don't know... It's just... When you try hard, it makes me want to try hard too. When you accomplish something, it makes me want to accomplish something. You make other people do well, not just yourself. I praise you for it. That's why I root for you. So, take all of my support."