v. Without Them.

v. Without Them.

    Hye-Jin was going to miss being the assistant coach of the fencing team

Hye-Jin was going to miss being the assistant coach of the fencing team. She may not have been on the team herself when she was attending Taeyang High, but she was already feeling sentimental at the thought of leaving the team behind. She was going to miss the girls asking her for her help—it was mostly Yeji who did, as well as calling her unnie and complimenting her on her delicious baked treats—giving pointers to them, bringing her snacks to practice and giving them instructions. Hye-Jin was already emotionally preparing herself for her exit, knowing that the act of leaving was not going to be that difficult. It was the act of letting go that has always been hardest for her.

As much as she hated to admit it, Hye-Jin got attached to people quickly. As soon as a bond was formed, she would hold on tight, in the hopes of them never letting go of her. But with change being inevitable, her approach wouldn't last long. If anything, it showed her that most people would let go of her, even if she could not seem to let go of them. The only person in her life who always stayed was Chan-Mi, her true best friend. It was why the idea of leaving Taeyang High again felt difficult, because it would mean leaving her mom and the people she held dear, who could use her absence as a reason to let go of her.

  That morning, Hye-Jin stood in front of the team with Chan-Mi, who would be sharing a very special announcement.

"Someone from our team will compete for a spot on the national team next month." Chan-Mi announced, staying silent for a minute to build the tension, "Na Hee-Do."

"Yes?" Hee-Do obliviously answered.

"It is you." Chan-Mi revealed to them all, which was not news for Hye-Jin and Hee-Do, since they had been informed prior to their training that morning. However, despite her being aware of the big news, Hee-Do still seemed clueless, "Me? Why?"

"Two fencers above you dropped out," Hye-Jin explained, "One quit fencing because her school got rid of their fencing team. The other one quit because her family could not afford it. That is why you qualify for the competition although you were initially ranked twenty-sixth. Congratulations, Hee-Do!"