Under Cover - VI

En başından başla

It was Perrie's turn to raise a questioning eyebrow. "And you really do look like my friend, Jesy...except that–"

"She's pregnant, too?" Jesy asked with wide eyes.

Perrie shakes her head, "No, no...she doesn't drive a car this way. Are we getting away from someone or something?"

"Oh, no. I was just practicing to be the Getaway car driver. My friend, Jade, she's an expert at this. And she's Perrie's wife, by the way, they're going to go on leave next month because a new member of our family is on its way," Jesy happily told her. "Oh! Interesting fact – the sperm donor is Jade's step-brother, Alex–good guy, gorgeous man, perfect genes! Not that you care, I just wanted to tell you."

Perrie was still stunned. The other woman only chuckled and continued.

"Anyway...so, they're going on vacation mode and somebody has to be a reliever – moi. We're members of Interpol, by the way."

Perrie blinked a couple times at the amount of information that Jesy willingly shared with her.

"Jade?" Perrie repeats.

"Yeah?"

"Are you talking about a brunette – very expressive brown eyes, sun-kissed glowing skin, and a perfect body?"

Jesy's eyebrow shot right up but ended up smirking a little. "That's a very specific description, but yes, how did you..." Jesy turns her head at Perrie for a bit. "Oh! You have a Jade in your life, too? Is she your wife? Is she pregnant?"

"Oh–no! No...she's uhm...part of my team – a detective. W-We're not–" Perrie slowly breathes out. She's surprised at the flow of their conversation. She just met this version of Jesy, and here she is, asking her about personal stuff which no one has ever tried asking her before. "Can you please tell me what's going on? Where am I? How can I go back to LA?"

Jesy revved up the engine and drove again. "I believe you were transported here through a portal. This is New York, but this isn't the same NYC from where you're from. This is another earth."

"Another earth?" Perrie echoes.

"Have you heard about the Multiverse?" Jesy asks.

"Yeah, in movies and series."

Jesy snorts, "Oh, honey, it's real. It exists not just in movies. And I believe that's what happened to you. This is a parallel world."

Perrie holds her temple and lightly massages it as it was starting to throb. "Seriously?"

"Yup. I was you a month ago when we were called for a briefing to discuss the multiverse," Jesy began. "It was really ridiculous and I laughed really hard until we were sent to investigate a special case and found out that the suspect isn't from this universe, either. So...yep, you're not the first one."

"How do I go back to my–you know, world?" It was a bit weird for Perrie to utter the words 'my own world' literally because she never thought something like this would happen. She never thought in a million years that the multiverse thing in the movies was real.

"How did you get here in the first place?"

Perrie tries to recall the things that happened before she popped up in the middle of the highway. Then, she remembers Jade's expression. She gasped, "It was Jade!"

Jesy glanced at Perrie for a bit before she turned her attention back to the road. "Judging by the way you look, you didn't know that someone like your Jade could open a portal to another world?"

"No...but–how?"