Goodbye?

💫

For the very last stop on you and Steven's goodbye tour, you were back where it all started- in his house. Specifically, in his room.

"Okay, so tomorrow you'll head out at 6pm?" you asked Steven, agenda in hand.

"Yup."

You examined the calendar; "...and you'll stop in Ocean Town for gas, and then stay at the Rosebud Motel on your way to Keystone?"

"Right."

"Okay, then once you get to Keystone..."

"I'll stay at the Keystone Motel."

"Okay, and then you'll-"

"(Y/N)," Steven took your hands, holding them between you. "I promise I've got everything all planned out, okay? You think Pearl would let me leave if I didn't?"

"Sorry. Just... worried, I guess."

You and Steven had spent the past two weeks since his birthday silently preparing for the inevitable. You spent every free second with each other, but had hardly talked about the elephant in the room. You both acted like September first would never come.

But now, it was August 31st.

"Right..." Steven sighed. "Want to talk about it, or maybe take your mind off it?"

You bit your tongue and broke eye contact. "Maybe we can break in the new game Amethyst got you?"

Steven smiled bittersweetly and nodded. You watched as he set the game up, each moment flying by the more you wanted it to slow down. You took a controller and silently played by his side for what seemed like days. It was probably only ten minutes. Either way, you couldn't stay silent anymore. You set the controller down on the ground and spoke up; "I don't get it."

Steven paused the game, puzzled. "The controls?" he asked. "Do I need to show you again?"

"No," you sighed, struggling to find the right words to say. "I... I feel like I've been in a coma with you. Like, I don't remember what my life was like without you." You looked at Steven, not sure if you'd be able to keep it together. "Isn't that stupid? Four months ago I had never spoken to you, and now I-" your voice faltered, the tears you were holding back breaking free. "I don't know how I'm going to live without you."

"Woah, hey. It's okay. I won't be gone forever. These next months are gonna fly by, just wait. It'll be like a Wattpad fanfic time-skip."

"What?"

"Or a sequel."

"Steven what are you-"

"The point is..." Steven cupped your cheek with his hand and brushed away your tears with his thumb. "This isn't a 'goodbye.' This... is a 'see you later.'"

You held his hand to your face, leaning into it. "How can you be so... okay... with this?" you asked, searching his face for answers.

"I'm really, really, not okay with this," he smiled sadly. "I just know that if I start crying, I probably won't be able to stop."

Somehow, through all of the tears, you felt yourself laughing. You collapsed into Steven's arms and buried your face in his chest. Your stomach ached from crying, but you didn't think you could stop. You felt Steven rest his chin on top of your head, enveloping you in the biggest hug of your life. You didn't want this to end.

"I don't want to do anything right now except hold you," Steven muttered. "Is that okay?"

"I'm so bad at that game, Steven. Of course it's okay."

Steven placed a kiss on your head and squeezed you gently before moving to put away the game and turn off the lights. You waited for him in his bed, laying in silence until he crawled underneath the covers.

"I wish we had more time together," you whispered, staring at the ceiling.

Steven hugged you close against him, quiet tears rolling down his cheeks.

"I know," he replied, his face buried in your hair.

You couldn't help but feel angry with yourself. You were so tired, but all you wanted was to stay awake and savor every last second you had with him. In the end however, you drifted off to sleep- with dried tears caked in your eyelashes and Steven's arms wrapped round your waist.

💫