A Scary Movie: Part Two

The overhead lights throughout the theater slowly dimmed until you had to squint to make out the shape of Steven right next to you.

"What?" He whispered, peering back at you.

"Hm?" You blinked while your eyes adjusted.

"You were staring," Steven explained. And although you could hardly see him, you could hear the smirk.

"Pass the Junior Mints," you muttered begrudgingly.

He did so with a small chuckle under his breath. You shot him a playful glare and snatched the candy from his hand.

"Watch the movie," Steven scolded you loudly. What he said wasn't even funny, but you laughed.

The sequel opened on a dark and stormy night... with the creature from the first film, coming back to life and walking out of the swamp. You felt Steven tense up beside you and you smirked- the movie had barely started and he was already scared?

You leaned over and whispered smugly into his ear; "would you have rather seen Dogcopter?"

"What? Nooo, this is... fine," Steven leaned back into his chair and tried to look cool. It didn't work.

"Do you want me to hold your hand?"

"Yes, please."

You sighed a smile and took his hand in yours. He gave it a tight squeeze every time the movie got too scary, which for him- was a lot.

Although, a handful of jump-scares did get to you. When the lurch appeared behind one of the characters, and the suspenseful music stung loudly from the surround sound, you jumped in your seat- scattering popcorn by your feet.

"Okay, you have no right to make fun of me," Steven argued, his voice barely above a whisper. He had to lean over the armrest between the two of you just so that you could hear him.

"Whatever," you rolled your eyes, thankful for the darkness concealing your blush.

You turned your attention back to the screen, but felt Steven's eyes stay on you.

You looked over to face him; "What?"

"Nothing," he breathed.

"Now you're the one staring," you teased.

Steven moved closer, his breath warm on your cheek, and his eyes on yours.

"And why wouldn't I stare?" He whispered.

Your eyes moved from his lips, to his eyes, to his lips again. Swiftly but gently, he brought his hand to your cheek and leaned in to a kiss. Your lips tingled while Steven softly caressed your jawline.

You bumped foreheads when another jump-scare scared the shit out of both of you. You both pulled away, hands on your foreheads.

"Ow!" You rubbed your head and looked at Steven, who did the same. After a moment of eye contact, the two of you burst into breathless laughter.

"Maybe we can do that later," you whispered, pulling away.

"Probably best... for our safety," Steven agreed. You smiled and took his hand, holding it for the rest of the movie.

You never stopped holding hands as you left the theater.

"I cannot believe what a wimp you are!" You teased Steven, walking alongside him.

He scoffed defensively; "You jumped at all the scares, too!"

"Uh- no, I jumped when you screamed, that's all," you bumped into his side playfully.

The two of you laughed and tossed your empty popcorn buckets and candy wrappers in the trash. On the way out of the building, Steven only let go of your hand to hold the door open for you.

"So," Steven started after both of you had gotten in the car, "some movie, huh?"

"Yep," you sat uncomfortably, "some movie."

"So, about the arcade-"

"Oh, man."

"What?"

"It's not that big a deal! I don't want to use it to leave town anymore, and frankly, even if I did- it probably wouldn't have been enough."

"Okay, but why?" Steven shifted in his seat so that his whole body was facing you.

"Because gas prices are fucking nuts."

"No- well, yeah, they are, but I mean why don't you want to leave? That's the goal you were set on from the start."

"I don't know"

You both knew.

"You 'don't know?' You suddenly just took on a liking for the town?" He pressed on.

You groaned, "no, I suddenly took on a liking for you, Steven."

He sighed and nodded. It was what both of you were thinking.

"I'm leaving," he muttered.

"I know."

"You staying here won't change that."

"I know."

"So what are you doing?"

"I don't know."

You suddenly became very interested in your nails and started fidgeting, picking underneath them in the silence.

"You're gonna take that money back," Steven spoke decisively.

You dropped your hands and stared at him; "what?"

"Tomorrow, we're going to see Mr. Smiley and get some uniforms, because we are both going to work until the damages are paid off, and YOU are going to keep your prize money and get out of here."

"But what if it's not enough?"

"Then you come back. No harm, no foul," Steven smiled and gently placed his hand on your shoulder. "But really, I think you'll be fine."

"Really?"

"Yeah! I mean, sure, it's not a million bucks, but it's a start! It could pay the rent in a stingy apartment long enough for you to get a job, and it'll last even longer if you find a roommate! Worst case scenario: you live like my dad did... in a van."

"If it means becoming a rock star, I'll take it," you shrugged with a smile.

"Alright then," he started the car and looked over you. "You're gonna look so cute in that stupid uniform."

💫