Today they wore bright neon green t-shirts with their own multicolored handprints stained across it from the arts and craft bar. Camille wore light washed blue jean overalls with her shirt and Erik was in khaki cargo shorts.

"Ma, I'm hungry!" Erik declared. His brow was furrowed just like his father's when they were displeased about something. It was hard to be threatening when you're a 4 year old who's clinging very closely to his grandmother.

However, Erik was committed to the role.

"Nicoletta. Nice to see you, baby." Valerie's mom started in her greeting to Nicki,"I'm so happy you got off that crystal worshipping stuff and went back to school because honey child I almost told Valerie to stuff those crystals up your—"

"Nice to see you too, Mrs. Stevens." Nicki cut in with a tight smile.

Paying them no mind, Valerie stooped to her children's level and brought them in closer to her. She brushed dirt off of Erik's cheek while smiling at him. "We'll get you some food in that grumpy tummy of yours." She assured her son, tickling his stomach as she did so.

Erik squirmed and giggled loudly, the hangry attitude from minutes ago long gone.

"And how about you, babygirl? Is your tummy grumpy too?" Valerie asked Camille, a faux threatening hand approaching to tickle Camille too if she said yes. Camille grinned a huge grin and shook her head no vigorously.

Valerie knew Camille was doing it so violently because she would take any excuse to hear her barrettes click clack against each other.

When she did stop, her nose was running, but her smile was even bigger almost.

"I'm not grumpy mommy! Nana said we could get ice cream!" The girl squealed next which caused Valerie's head to look up to her mother. Her mother cocked her head with attitude and nodded surely. "Yes I did tell my baby we were gonna get her some ice cream and I dare ya to say I can't!" Jean proclaimed matter-of-factly.

Valerie's mother had been attached to her at the hip since the babies were born. She felt as if she didn't get to really bond with Susan's children because she rarely visited. Valerie, however, fully embraced her mother's willingness to help and retired her just so she could watch the kids to her heart's content.

Valerie's father on the other hand shook his head every time her mother called him saying she'd be sleeping over another night at their house instead of home with him.

Valerie couldn't help but roll her eyes at her mother and laugh at the same time. Standing back to her full height, she looked around at the food trucks in the area. They seemed to be fully open.

"Yeah go ahead ma, just please make sure they don't have too much dairy. They get cranky when their gassy."

Grabbing the two children's hand from either side, Jean tsked at Valeries warning. "That's because you're cranky when you're gassy and I raised you just fine. Go! Enjoy your event!" Her mother shoo'd her off and Valerie had no choice but to watch as her kids were brought up to a truck selling cheese fries.

Nicki laughed, watching Jean and the kids walk away as well. She linked arms with Valerie and gestured for them to walk towards where a crowd was forming by the stage. "Well, let us enjoy the event like Mrs.Stevens ordered."

"Sorry she lit into you like that." Valerie annoyedly griped. Nicki just squeezed her shoulder and smiled ahead. "No, she's right. If I had been through what you'd been through with me, you'd have a chunk of rose quartz up your ass no doubt."

If Valerie had a drink in her mouth she would've spit it all over the grass.

"Good. Because that's exactly what you deserved."