4) F o u r

Rewritten

The Avasthi villa was alive with joy, adorned with vibrant flowers and twinkling lights

The Avasthi villa was alive with joy, adorned with vibrant flowers and twinkling lights. Servants bustled about, attending to the needs of the guests.

As Sneha entered the living room, the previously animated conversations came to a halt. All eyes shifted towards her, and despite her nervousness, she gracefully greeted everyone. She knew her life was on the brink of a significant transformation.

The prospective in-laws welcomed her with warm smiles, but a teenage boy seated next to Mr. Burman couldn't take his eyes off Anna, who blushed in response.

Sneha's mother, Avni, approached her with a forced smile and spoke in a sugary tone, "My Sneha is here. Come, dear, meet the Burmans."

Sneha felt her mother's nails pressing into her skin, urging her to seek the elders' blessings. Sanskaari naari sab pe bhaari.

(Adhering to traditional customs leaves a lasting positive impression on others.)

The old woman got up and hugged her. "It's so nice to finally see you beta. You're even more prettier in person." Spoke the woman.

"Thank you aunty." Said Sneha and bent down to touch her feet.

The woman stopped her and said, "girls don't touch feet here beta. And what is aunty ? Call me Maya or mom just like Dave does" She said looking at the hazel eyed man.

Abhraneel quipped in, "Sneha you will have to call me dad too." Sneha could only nod her head meekly at them.

Despite her reluctance, Sneha felt compelled to heed her mother's silent warning

Despite her reluctance, Sneha felt compelled to heed her mother's silent warning. She couldn't afford another bout of physical suffering due to her frail body. As she touched the old man's feet, Sneha sensed a familiar warmth in his smile. Where had she seen him before?

Suddenly, it dawned on her that Mr. Abhraneel Burman was the same person she had filmed for an interview on her first day at the office a year ago. As a novice, Sneha had been incredibly nervous, but he had not only reassured her but also imparted invaluable life advice. He was one of the most compassionate individuals she had ever encountered. For the first time, touching someone's feet felt meaningful to her.