Chapter 38

Abir Bharadwaj

Haldi had already begun when I received a text from Maya. So this was it. My London branch had been approved and I had to sign the documents soon so that I could follow certain beloved, though they didn't want me to run around behind them. I smiled and sent a thank you to Maya as Amma called me.

"Kya hua?" I asked when I saw worry etched on her face.
"Kal aakhri court hearing hai Abir. Pata nahi kya hoga." She added tentatively.
"Amma, Nitya aunty has been handling it very well. Aur humare paas saare proofs hai. They can't do anything that will affect us." I assured her.
"Maine Nitya ko hazar baar call kiya par usne uthaya hi nahi." She said again. Strange. Even Mishti hadn't answered to my texts.

"Mommy dearest, sab aapke tarah free to nahi honge, haina." I smiled as she squatted my hand. There. The smile had returned.
"Aajkal tum bhi kaafi free hona. Office jaana bhi bhool chuke ho." She smiled mischeviously.
"Hogaya? Chale?" I questioned as Amma playfully pinched my cheek and we went towards Kunal, who was seated all in white.

According to the ritual, first haldi was to be applied by parents. As Kunal saw his mother, Sindhu approaching, his smile faltered. He tried to just acknowledge her with a nod. And his father was asusual, stoic, grim and not interested.
"Aunty, ayiye." Kunal called Amma sweetly as she smiled and went forward. We were his real family after all. So he'd addressed her with more love and care than his own mother. Sindhu Vardhan fumed.

"Hamesha khush raho." Amma blessed him. Appa and Vijay uncle were out on an important deal that Bharadwaj industries and Bose group of companies, for the first time in history, decided to do cojointly and not oppose each other. I didn't want to go with them since I had to carry this haldi to Kuhu's house. Next was my turn.
"Finally bada hogaya tu Nanko." My eyes defenitely held tears as Kunal drew me into a hug.

And then he applied haldi on me too. This fellow! Later it was just splashing haldi and water on each other as Kunal's relatives and cousins gathered around for a picture.

But Sindhu Vardhan's creepy smile didn't get out of my mind.

Later in the evening

We were in the mandap, gathered to let Kunal in as he got down the horse. The bridesmaids ran in to inform that Baaraat had arrived. God I was waiting so long to see her! She wasn't even in the haldi ceremony when I visited Kuhu's house. In which hole had she pushed herself into!

Kuhu's aunt, Jasmeet did the aarti since she wasn't widowed, and welcomed Kunal and all of us in. Maanav was not in attendance since he had a family emergency in Pune. So he had sincerely apologised to Kuhu and Mishti. Soon, Kunal was seated infront of the havan as the priest recited sacred mantras. And then he asked to bring the bride. That's when my eyes darted from the surroundings to the most beautiful sight ever.

Din shagna da chadeya
Aao sakhiyo ni vehra sajeya, haan.

Mishti was descending down with Kuhu, in a beautiful golden saree, smiling at Kuhu who was dressed up in a huge ghagra. She was looking good too but what caught my eye was Mishti and Mishti alone.

Mera sajna mileya
Sajna milan vadaiyan
Ni sajan doli leke auna
Ni vehra sajeya

The bride was made to sit beside the groom, as they stared into each other's eyes deeply, resonating the love they had for each other. Honestly I never thought Kunal would look at someone like that. And now, I was glancing at Mishti in the same way. How times changed.