Chapter 7 - Family

Start from the beginning

I wasn't tired or hungry though. Nick seemed to see this, as yawny as he was, and he flopped onto the couch and turned it back on low for us to see the news for ourselves. It'd gone from 'that disease that spread through the shelters and the dogs on the streets' to 'The EPIDEMIC'. I suspected it'd been an epidemic amongst the dogs and wolves for a while- it'd just taken for some powerful pooches to get sick and suddenly they stopped pretending it wasn't a problem.

"So it's spread far in the dogs?" I didn't tease them though. Dogs, cats, huge part of people's lives. They were incredible with people who were sick or had mental illness. When Susie's husband had been in hospital, there'd been therapy dogs that would come in to the chemo area and cheer them up, so I knew that it was a problem. Not to mention sniffer dogs at airports would start to be in short supply, farms would struggle...

Nick shrugged and glanced behind me to Reece, who came in with some kind of chocolate, standing near me as he watched the TV.

"Is it just America?"

"It's hard to tell." I muttered. That was one thing I had to fault. American news- it was all about America. All the time. Day and night. There'd be some amusing youtube videos that were sometimes not American, if you were lucky, but in general.

It wasn't a small thing though. I saw this as I stood there, too strung out by downstairs to relax, because for all the hysteria of the news it seemed it was actually spreading a bit faster and a lot less controlled now. Lots of dogs were getting it. Mostly pure bred dogs, apparently, which meant a lot of cancelled dog shows. The mutts had better statistics and survival rates. Vets were struggling with the amounts and some were refusing to take the dogs if they showed signs of the disease in an attempt to avoid spreading it to the dogs that weren't sick. It was kind of hard to remember that this disease in the pet dog world and in the wolf world, it was the same one as the one we'd all had. Some expert came on and claimed that wolves who survived it, four out of five, were stronger and breeding faster. Claimed it'd changed them. They got thirty seconds at two in the morning- probably the only time they were offered in the whole day. Who wanted to hear about stronger wolves that could breed faster?

Arms slid around my waist, slowly, sudden, and I suddenly realised that Nick's attention wasn't on the TV. He sat on the couch, looking amused, as Reece came up from behind. That 'I'm up to something' look was back on his face again.

It wasn't him pressing against my back though. I glanced back, Reece grinning at me, and it was while my attention was shifted that Nick got up and moved to wrap his arms around me from the front.

"You're supposed to be shirtless." Nick hissed at Reece, who let go with one arm, shrugging his top off, and threw it to one side.

"Why?" I asked, suspicious, as the two of them pinned me between them.

I got it the same second Nick kissed me hard, and Reece's hands slid up the bottom of the long tshirt, up my thighs, resting on my hips. I got it now. They were trying to convince me it was fun. I couldn't protest either- Nick's mouth was refusing to let mine free, Reece's shoulder behind my head- and there was something pretty incredible and overwhelming about being pinned by two warm bodies, the scents of my love and my best friend on either side of me, like …

This was pretty stupid, I tried to tell myself, and way too effing complicated. Much to... I flinched, as Reece's knee slid up between my bare legs, the rough fabric of his jeans teasing the sensitive skin there, Nick's hands cupping my face.

"What are you two up to?" I hissed, when Nick stopped distracting me with kissing, his mouth tracing down my neck.

"Giving you a sample." Reece answered, from behind me, Nick pulling hair over one shoulder so Reece could nip at a bare shoulder. His knee ground against my back, while Nick removed the crutches so I couldn't move, his body pressing harder against mine. "Like?"